Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Charity shop issues

Options
13»

Comments

• theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,328 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    If you have the space, increase the price on everything in the shop - and if it hasn't sold after a week then drop the price - or call it a 'new stock premium'. (I have seen this done with coloured tags to avoid going around repricing everything- one week you use red tags, the next blue... and one sign saying everything with a red tag is X% off). That way you get more money for anything people really want, but there is enough at the cheaper price for people who just want something.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • madonnaforever2020
    Options
    bigbill said:
    Looking for some guidance?

I run two busy charity shops in an area of high deprivation, we sell items donated cheaply ideally for local people with little money.

Any income goes towards running our busy local office which I also run, I along with one other I sort and price donations which there are plenty but I have little time to check if anything is valuable or not.

The shops are 100% run by volunteers myself included.

We have a certain person who turns up everyday at opening time and buys various items that have just been put out for sale that they are able to recognise as under priced or valuable, which you could say we get what we ask for them but we are small and need the items away quickly to make room and help local people with cheap items.

However they put almost everything they buy from us on Ebay and although they work full time they seem to be making a very good second living from doing this as I follow them on Ebay.

The issue is I want to ban them as this is not what I feel we were set up to do, although I have been over ruled by my committee who say we get what we ask for these items so leave it alone and I can understand this, but I would expect a decent person to tell us if we have under priced an item something they have never ever done in all the years.

Tonight I checked and they have listed a toy that they bought today for £5 and it sold almost instantly for over £50 on a buy it now sale on Ebay as well as other items they have bought only today and sold today which all came from us giving them a total profit from item bought today at over £100.

They have over 450 items on Ebay now all buy it now with over 75% coming directly from us the remaining 25% from other charity shops and car boot sales I suspect, the fact they have feedback at over 2500 speaks volumes on the amount of selling they do as they never buy on Ebay only selling.

What do you suggest:

Should I leave it?

Should I ban them anyways?

Should I walk away and leave as it is pi**ing me right off?

Report them to HMRC?
    Leave it, maybe that person doesn't have a lot of money so it's the only way to pay the bills or to get a relative a birthday prezzy for instance.Some things aren't always what they appear.
  • madonnaforever2020
    Options
    8ofspades said:
    Get someone in who knows what things are worth to sell on eBay for you, sell the high priced items and put the eBay money towards more practical necessities for the people you're trying to help?

I both work in a charity shop and buy to sell from charity shops (never my own, conflict of interest and I do eBay for our shop) - you can't really stop it.
    You could try appealing to them and explain the aims of your charity. Most charity shops nowadays are not set up for the people who buy the goods, they're for the charity to make money, so there's not a whole lot wrong with buying something at the price they want and selling it on for more.
    Yes I agree with you.Its swings & round abouts really.Also I now only give to reasonably priced charity shops instead of the expensive charity shops.
    I'm also finding that I'm.not buying or visiting as much as it's got too expensive over recent yrs.Its a shame because it also means the clothes that I do buy from charity shops are now being worn out frequently as I have to make them last longer.Ive also started to give my clothes to my sister now most of time because she struggles on her salary to bring up a family. There is an element of scratching each others back & still doing good for charities.Its not the case most of the time now.When items were designer or higher end high st I use to round the price up for them, unfortunately not anymore as my money will only go so far 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback