DRO completed, HMRC still collecting from my benefits award.

Options
I'm at my wit's end.

I was granted a DRO in July 2018, incorporating a large tax credits overpayment from HMRC. In June, they confirmed the full amount outstanding to them and I didn’t hear a peep for 12 months. They’ve now started claiming £80pm from my benefits as a repayment. They have confirmed that this is from 2015, so should have been covered by the DRO. I have resent them copies of the DRO by recorded delivery but they’re not acknowledging it.

Either they gave me an incorrect figure in 2018 or they’re ignoring the DRO.

I have no idea what to do.
Best wins: Luxury weekend in Russia, family holiday to France, catered BBQ for 20, Selfridges shopping spree, jolly to Majorca, £1,000 See Tickets vouchers, £500 John Lewis vouchers, five-star weekend in Provence!

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,888 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi,

As long as the full amount of all outstanding overpayments was included in your DRO, then HMRC have no remedy against you.
    The thing is, and I had just the same problem, they don`t move very quickly, you have sent your evidence in writing, so back that up with a phone call, as long as the figures are correct, you will get the money taken in error, back again.

Usually the call handler is pretty clued up on whats what, but you really need to speak to them.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,504 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    keletubbie wrote: »

Either they gave me an incorrect figure in 2018 or they’re ignoring the DRO.

or it is fraudulent debt.

That would fit the pattern of frozen for one year then collected again.

I agree with sourcrates - you need to ask. It is possible it's just a mistake.

In order to count as fraudulent there must be:
    • guilt admitted in an interview under caution
    • a court finding of fraud
    • you accepted an administrative penalty.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure