Donate or keep dog food?

Options
Two months ago our dog died suddenly.....as you can imagine our hearts were totally shredded & OH said that he was done with dogs as you get so attached to them.

I must admit that whilst I don't want another dog immediately I'm finding it hard without one around the house so OH agreed that in October we'd look into fostering as neither of us are really sure if another dog fill the gap left ....in addition to which we're not sure if we want to have a dog of the same breed so it seemed an ideal chance to find out.

The problem I have is that I've got a chest freezer full of raw food. My initial plan was to donate it to a dog rescue centre but if we're going down the fostering route wouldn't it be more sensible to keep it?

My heart says yes but my head says a) the fostering idea may come to nothing & b) the space could be better utilised with batch cooking for us.

Comments

• KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,605 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    If you can afford to replace the food should fostering go ahead, then I think it'd be kind to donate it to a charity, who are more limited on funds.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It might be worth finding out if a shelter would be able to accept it, and how easy it would be to transport it still frozen.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • mrgrtt123
    mrgrtt123 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    I feel like the best option is for you to donate it in the nearest animal shelter.
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    It might be worth finding out if a shelter would be able to accept it, and how easy it would be to transport it still frozen.

That has been the biggest problem .....a couple of shelters have said thanks right up to the moment they've found out it's frozen.

We did find one that said they'd take it.

As for transportation we've still got the polystyrene boxes that the food came in so that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Perhaps if I gave them half of it now and then if we decided not go down the fostering route they could have the other half later.
  • Soot2006
    Soot2006 Posts: 2,167 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You'd also find it easy enough to sell on on the Facebook group "Barf (UK)" ... Donate half and sell the rest, then use that money to restock when the time comes?
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm sorry for the loss of your dog, even when expected it hurts but to lose them suddenly is utterly heartbreaking.

There is a group on Facebook just for selling on or swapping unwanted raw food called raw bartering U.K., it's mostly peoples who have fussy dogs or have ordered in bulk and the dog is allergic but also sometimes people who have lost their dogs.

I've found many rescues don't like you to feed the fosters a raw diet, some because they don't understand the raw diet so disagree with them but others because they can't guarantee that any potential new home would continue the raw feeding. Although there are some rescues who actively encourage raw feeding or have a particular dog with medical needs (usually allergies or skin conditions) that has to be fed raw.

In your situation I'd sell the food to another local raw feeder and worry about any foster dog when the time comes and just enjoy the extra freezer space in the meantime.
  • colesy
    colesy Posts: 72 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I’m sorry for your loss.

A few years ago, one of my cats passed away. He had kidney disease and was on a special renal diet. I had about £150 of renal food in the cupboard that I had no use for. I contacted my local Cat Protection branch and they came and collected it. A couple of months later I had a nice message from them saying that they had taken in a cat with kidney disease and had been able to put the food to very good use.

It’s your decision, but donating the food felt like the right thing for me to do.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm sorry for your loss. In the short term, I'd donate the food, clean & empty & switch off the freezer & just let grief run a bit longer.

You can't be certain what a foster dog might eat - don't prejudge Fate.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,132 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    When I had raw food my dogs wouldn't eat I donated it to a small local rescue. They did not feed the dogs raw but the lady I contacted used it for her own dogs and donated the value to the rescue.
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    Thank you every one for your thoughts.

Just to let you know I joined the Facebook group Fosterdog mentioned and have already sold 3/4 of the food & the proceeds will be donated to the rescue.

If we sell the remainder that will also be donated.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure