Options
2»

Comments

• Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is that air vent blocked up?!
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • mutley74
    mutley74 Posts: 4,022 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 12 February 2018 at 6:55PM
    Options
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    Is that air vent blocked up?!

it does not look it from external view. But coincidentally building control inspector was visiting to provide advice on my next project - he said no need for a air brick.

I would like to remove the air brick but don't really want to use the same dcp builder - he visited today but assured me nothing to worry about. He does lots of work for a large independent estate agent - and i did contact the EA owner who is an acquaintance for help (who is also a charted surveyor) - awaiting to see if he can visit.
    builder said "no water can get through an airbrick" - that was his words!! But the silicone around the frame is all loose and wet. I will see if i can get that changed.
  • Doozergirl
    Options
    I cannit see how someone damp proofed without taking the skirtings off. There are no tell tale holes on the outside of the house either. Do not invite him back into your house. What exactly did he say that he had done for you? How long did that work take?

I can see issues outside that should be rectified.

The pointing is bad - gappy, ugly, not a professional job. It looks like someone!!!8217;s tried to address a problem in the past.
    There appear to be gaps between the brickwork and the window frame that the sealant is not covering.
    You have at least one wire coming into the house - what is that black thing you!!!8217;ve gone quite close up on?
    The driveway comes right up to the wall - it shouldn!!!8217;t. Ground level should be 150mm below the original DPC. Where is that on your wall?
    This air brick - is it a vent for the room? In which case it has clearly been half blocked up and is a prime suspect as it will cause a cold bridge. Or does it turn at 90 degrees and go down to the sub floor? The ground level looks too high for your floor to be suspended.
  • mutley74
    Options
    I cannit see how someone damp proofed without taking the skirtings off. There are no tell tale holes on the outside of the house either. Do not invite him back into your house. What exactly did he say that he had done for you? How long did that work take?

I can see issues outside that should be rectified.

The pointing is bad - gappy, ugly, not a professional job. It looks like someone!!!8217;s tried to address a problem in the past.
    There appear to be gaps between the brickwork and the window frame that the sealant is not covering.
    You have at least one wire coming into the house - what is that black thing you!!!8217;ve gone quite close up on?
    The driveway comes right up to the wall - it shouldn!!!8217;t. Ground level should be 150mm below the original DPC. Where is that on your wall?
    This air brick - is it a vent for the room? In which case it has clearly been half blocked up and is a prime suspect as it will cause a cold bridge. Or does it turn at 90 degrees and go down to the sub floor? The ground level looks too high for your floor to be suspended.

He took 1 day to do the living room and about 2metres in the kitchen. I agree after a few people have pointed out its not a professional job - hence why i have asked the EA owner for advice.

No idea what the black thing sticking out of the brick? possibly previous membrane from the last window frame??

Note this window is full height about 2 bricks higher than the ground - i think it was extended by previous vendors about 20 years ago.

Floor is not suspended - its solid concrete.

Air brick does not lead to any vent inside the room.

Good observation on the poor pointing (even my HB survey did not pick that one!). I will see if I can get someone to do the repointing and re-seal around the frame, and even remove the air brick.
  • Doozergirl
    Options
    That air brick either needs to go or to be opened up properly on both sides. If you have a solid floor then it might have been needed for a gas fire in the room? It seems to have been blocked on one side and so you effectively have one area of single skin wall which will get very cold and exacerbate any water ingress that occurs.

There will be salts when it dries out, but not when a proper dpc and rendering is done - BUT you didn!!!8217;t need it anyway, you need to maintain the house properly and solve the causes, not just the symptoms.

Stop talking to the estate agent. They know nothing about building and managing agents for let properties are the worst of all. They have no interest in anything than collecting money, certainly no interest in their clients!!!8217; very expensively properties and just call up some jack of all trade whi can charge what they like for shoddy work because tenants are like second class citizens.
  • mutley74
    Options
    That air brick either needs to go or to be opened up properly on both sides. If you have a solid floor then it might have been needed for a gas fire in the room? It seems to have been blocked on one side and so you effectively have one area of single skin wall which will get very cold and exacerbate any water ingress that occurs.

There will be salts when it dries out, but not when a proper dpc and rendering is done - BUT you didn!!!8217;t need it anyway, you need to maintain the house properly and solve the causes, not just the symptoms.

Stop talking to the estate agent. They know nothing about building and managing agents for let properties are the worst of all. They have no interest in anything than collecting money, certainly no interest in their clients!!!8217; very expensively properties and just call up some jack of all trade whi can charge what they like for shoddy work because tenants are like second class citizens.

The bay window must have been extended in height over 10 years ago. The black bit on the photo is where the original frame dcp membrane was (comparing with the neighbours house).
    Airbrick is from original.

My contact with the EA is a charted surveyor (who is a friend, and i have asked him for a professional opinion, especially as they use the same builder for all their rental and other client work).

The sealant along the frame is wet and coming away - i will ask someone to reseal around the window.
  • mutley74
    Options
    This is the "dcp" under the sink - i was furious the day i saw the job when they were finishing - why they left a gap. Pure laziness why they did not remove the waste pipe, despite their phoney excuses there was no rising damp in that bit.

jhZx4Zl.jpg
  • Doozergirl
    Options
    How many times do we have to say that it is not a DPC before you listen?

They have plastered the wall. Maybe put some additive in it, but the job is an utter bodge.

But what I am saying is also that a DPC is not the right solution either. Fix the maintenance problems which I have listed for you.

I feel like I am wasting my time a bit here. Have a read of the Heritage House website. Get an idea.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure