The Great Hunt: Been mis-sold car finance?

Options

Comments

• motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Its frankly ridiculous that this is trying to be spun as "mis-selling".

Stuff like this does nothing but encourage the Claim Britain culture.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    MSE_Kelvin wrote: »
    If you've bought a car in the last couple of years and think you were sold a finance deal you didn't fully understand, or were persuaded to buy extras (eg, wheel and paint protection) you didn't need, we want to hear from you.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Just because someone decides in hindsight they didnt need it doesnt mean they were mis-sold it
  • Bellisima
    Bellisima Posts: 150 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    waamo wrote: »
    Turn off smart punctuation that's what's causing it.

Only happens on this site and I have noticed to lots of other people too. Fine anywhere else. Weird.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Bellisima wrote: »
    Only happens on this site and I have noticed to lots of other people too. Fine anywhere else. Weird.

It's a glitch in the MSE forum software. For some reason it can't cope with the Smart Punctuation feature found on many devices.
  • k12479
    k12479 Posts: 719 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bellisima wrote: »
    What!!!8217;s up with this site? Every time I type an apostrophe a load of crazy numbers follow it once posted........see above lol

You're clearly a victim of mis-sold punctuation.
  • eschaton
    eschaton Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    MSE_Kelvin wrote: »
    If you've bought a car in the last couple of years and think you were sold a finance deal you didn't fully understand, or were persuaded to buy extras (eg, wheel and paint protection) you didn't need, we want to hear from you.

Thanks in advance for your help.

So you are asking people to admit to being stupid?
  • kazt2006
    kazt2006 Posts: 54 Forumite
    edited 7 March 2018 at 8:20PM
    Options
    This is not exactly missing selling but it is potentially an attempt to. I bought a new car 13 months ago as my terrible teen previous model was being just that! Went to Evans Halshaw as I had seen what I wanted at a branch about 30 miles away and wanted to view the model before requesting it was brought the local branch.

Did not end up with my original choice as it had been sold in the interim, but they had another near London which would be equally good. From the outset I made clear it was a cash purchase and that no finance was required. Once I had been out in the said car, and agreed I would take it, the sales guy left me and I was joined by their financial advisor. I was very abrupt with him when he tried to interest me in a finance plan with additional insurance extras such as gap insurance and upholstery cover etc. This really irritated me as I kept having to say, it is a cash purchase and at one point he even wanted to know where the cash was coming from - irrelevant!

Yes ok it was part funded by an interest free loan over 3 years from the bank of Mum & Dad, with the rest from my savings but this was nothing to do with the garage.

Had I not been money mad - an accountant by trade - I could have been conned into a really expensive finance deal. When I mentioned my irritation to the sales person, the guy just said it was part of the process they had to go through to make sure customers understood their options!
  • bazzyb
    bazzyb Posts: 1,584 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    kazt2006 wrote: »

at one point he even wanted to know where the cash was coming from - irrelevant!

Yes ok it was part funded by an interest free loan over 3 years from the bank of Mum & Dad, with the rest from my savings but this was nothing to do with the garage.

The source of funds is not irrelevant at all. They are required to do their due diligence in line with AML regulations.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,047 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    bazzyb wrote: »
    The source of funds is not irrelevant at all. They are required to do their due diligence in line with AML regulations.

So if you said "selling drugs" they would refuse to sell it to you? :D:D:D
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • Deastons
    Deastons Posts: 464 Forumite
    Options
    kazt2006 wrote: »
    the sales guy left me and I was joined by their financial advisor. I was very abrupt with him when he tried to interest me in a finance plan with additional insurance extras such as gap insurance and upholstery cover etc. This really irritated me as I kept having to say, it is a cash purchase and at one point he even wanted to know where the cash was coming from - irrelevant!

Similar to my experience. But they told me that it was because of the FSA - they had to make me aware of finance options by law. I wasn't sure if that was true but sat through all the sales patter anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure