And so it begins: The Pig Vs The Mortgage

Options

Comments

• pinkypig
    pinkypig Posts: 1,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Noodle99 wrote: »
    Hi! I'm new, and have just read your diary! Your grocery savings are amazing! I was just wondering how easy tcb is to use, and is it worth signing up? Do you make much from it? Thanks. Noodle.

Hiya Noodle:wave: lovely to see you! Yep I do love a grocery bargain:D
    TCB is a piece of cake so get signed up. I made £300 + last years. Biggest ones were on insurances I was going to buy anyway but the little bits add up too.
    Are you paying down a mortgage too? Stick around these boards, they're fab, so many lovely folks with great tips and ideas:cool:
    Original mortgage £112,000 . Final payment due August 2027.
    Mortgage neutral achieved August 2020 - 7 years early!!!
  • pinkypig
    Options
    What happened to Friday? Just disappeared in a mix of work (daytime) and wine and Mexican food (evening):D. Love Friday evenings, nice easy freezer dinner, couple of glasses of wine and a lovely long chat about everything and nothing.
    The kids are with their dad so this weekend its all about me (used to feel like crying once upon a time but time is an amazing adjuster).
    Coffee, read and lie in is done, the sun is shining and there is a picnic to be packed and a mountain to c!imb:).

Have a lovely, sunny Saturday:D

PP xx
  • pinkypig
    Options
    What a lovely day, can't quite believe how much a bit of sun lifts the spirits and increases the energy levels :D

After a leisurely start (it's Saturday after all) we've done our first hill walk of the year. Sunshine and bright blue skies, bitterly cold with a literally biting wind at times, snow on the tops and stunning views in every direction. Perfect, makes you glad to be alive :). We found a sheltered spot for a picnic (ys rolls and hm cake, very mse!) and have renewed our love of great big hills. There will be lots more of this whenever time and the weather permits.

The veg is into roast so I'm off for a bubblebath:D. Dinner will be ys fish, roast Mediterranean veggies and cous cous followed by the remains of last night's wine and a bit more of the current box set.

Thrifty and difficult to imagine how to make it better:). Ever thankful to mse for the re-evaluation of my life. The simple things truly are the best:A

Happy Saturday to you :)

PP xx
  • pinkypig
    Options
    It's official, the more time I have the less i get done - poor, neglected diary:o
    Although the weekend's been what weekends should be I must not fall into the habit of not posting daily as it keeps me focused, accountable and above all motivated. Must try harder!

The weekend weather was just glorious, bright and cold which I actually love. Managed to do a proper hill walk, a run and a longish country walk over the two days which felt good. Also managed to fit in lots of tv, reading, eating and wine too:p

Apart some butter and four Easter eggs for £3 while Tesco have them on offer it was a ns weekend. Dinners were from the freezer and lunches were a picnic one day and lo the next and wine was already in the rack so it was pretty thrifty all round. I just need to make sure the Easter eggs don't get eaten beforehand:o

Laundry got done and that was about it. Don't scive off very often so it was rather nice!

Pay day is on Wednesday so spends and savings can be finalised and I think things should look pretty good despite some annual spends. Next month will be tight though as I'll have two rent free weeks so any overpayment will have to come from under spends in other areas or from additional income. I've had my first steps into eBay sellling and made a good start although I did have one nonpayer:mad:
    I've another pile of eBay stuff so I'm going to try and list 10 items a week during March.

I hope everyone is avoiding the worst of the weather. We are due snow tomorrow and I'm dreading my commute as its on country roads over high ground:eek: I have my shovel and snow bag in the hall ready but am really hoping I don't have to use it.

Stay safe folks and happy Monday to you.
    PP xx
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    I hope the snow is either not bad, or so so terrible you don't even have to attempt the commute tomorrow.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • Noodle99
    Options
    Hi! Thanks for the welcome! Yes, I'm trying to get a mortgage down, so reading these diaries has been an inspiration! I've been doing some sums and realised how much we could save in the long run (interest and years) by tucking money into the mortgage now. The tips I've been reading are very helpful to see where we can make savings. Just need to get Mr Noodle on board to the same extent!!
  • pinkypig
    Options
    I hope the snow is either not bad, or so so terrible you don't even have to attempt the commute tomorrow.

Thanks Wish. I got there via the long scenic route! It snowing like a b***er now though so hoping for a snow day as the forecast for the time I drive to work looks scary:eek:. Hope its not too awful with you xx
    Noodle99 wrote: »
    Hi! Thanks for the welcome! Yes, I'm trying to get a mortgage down, so reading these diaries has been an inspiration! I've been doing some sums and realised how much we could save in the long run (interest and years) by tucking money into the mortgage now. The tips I've been reading are very helpful to see where we can make savings. Just need to get Mr Noodle on board to the same extent!!

Its amazing isn't it? Good luck with you journey and those baby steps with Mr N:) xx
  • pinkypig
    Options
    Crikey its proper cold out there:eek: The snow was freezing to the windscreen as it landed when I was driving home. Scary. Glad to be in my lovely cosy house and thinking about those less fortunate. Being homeless or in fuel or food poverty must be horrendous at the best of times but at the moment it must be dire. Definitely need to make the time for a food bank donation this week, no excuses:o

Today has been a good one, despite the weather. Getting to work took an hour and a half but at least the way I went had gritted roads. Was glad to get home though, it felt like a long day.
    I brought my marking home as it had started to snow heavily so that's all done ready for tomorrow, assuming we're open which looks unlikely given the forecast.

Although I wasn't desperate I went to Asda to get milk so I can stay put tomorrow if its awful and to get some bits for mum and dad. As I went after spinning I hit on some ys bargains including a living Basil (does need a perk up) for 5p, 5 punnets of 10p plums and 2 farmhouse tin loaves for 10p each:). I've kept one lot of plums for eating and will make compote for the freezer with the rest as we've got plenty of jam.

Other than a £2.34 grocery spend its been a nsd so I suppose its a lsd:). Other successes have included;

Got to work!

Put laundry away.

Thrifty comfort tea of lo sausages and hm Yorkshire puddings from the freezer with onion gravy.

Overnight oats (with plums:p)made

Spin class done

Bread and milk delivered to mum and dad.

Lo for lunch

Kids on good form:)

Had a good nights sleep (rare and very, very welcome:))

I'm now tucked up in bed with a herbal tea (hopefully sleep inducing) with the electric blanket on. Going to watch Shetland and then its lights out.

Hope everyone's keeping safe and toasty:)

PP xx
  • pinkypig
    Options
    Ooooo I've just got my 1,000 posts badge:j. Exciting !!
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    I hope you stay toastie tonight and tomorrow.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure