PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Tenancy ending nowhere to go, advice please

Options
Hi, thanks for looking

I'm sure this will divide opinion but I am looking for advice into our situation. Myself, my partner and our 7year old daughter are currently living in a private rented house, been here for 7 and a half years, our LL sent someone round a few months back to value the house for "insurance purposes". This didn't fool us so we had a talk and decided it was time to start looking into buying a house of our own. As we thought a couple of weeks after the "insurance" guy came round we got a letter giving us notice that the LL wanted us to leave the property by the 30th of June, we were on a rolling contract and the letter was sent giving us 11 weeks notice.

So we have been looking at houses to buy and also houses to rent, but nothing is coming up that we like on the buying side and any that come up for rent are saying no pets allowed, we have a dog.

We rang the letting agent to see if we could have an extension but the LL has said no. So if we can't find anything we will have to choose between staying here and facing bailiffs or living in a tent somewhere. If we stay will bailiff action count against us in terms of getting a mortgage?

To all LL out there who are probably going to say it's the LL house give it them back, I am not going to effectively make my daughter homeless just because our LL wants there house back.

Anyway thanks for reading, any and all advice will be appreciated.

Comments

• Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    joehfax wrote: »
    Hi, thanks for looking

I'm sure this will divide opinion but I am looking for advice into our situation. Myself, my partner and our 7year old daughter are currently living in a private rented house, been here for 7 and a half years, our LL sent someone round a few months back to value the house for "insurance purposes". This didn't fool us so we had a talk and decided it was time to start looking into buying a house of our own. As we thought a couple of weeks after the "insurance" guy came round we got a letter giving us notice that the LL wanted us to leave the property by the 30th of June, we were on a rolling contract and the letter was sent giving us 11 weeks notice.

So we have been looking at houses to buy and also houses to rent, but nothing is coming up that we like on the buying side and any that come up for rent are saying no pets allowed, we have a dog.

We rang the letting agent to see if we could have an extension but the LL has said no. So if we can't find anything we will have to choose between staying here and facing bailiffs or living in a tent somewhere. If we stay will bailiff action count against us in terms of getting a mortgage?

To all LL out there who are probably going to say it's the LL house give it them back, I am not going to effectively make my daughter homeless just because our LL wants there house back.

Anyway thanks for reading, any and all advice will be appreciated.

Can you confirm this is in England or Wales? When you say you weren't sent a letter was it just a letter or was it a Section 21 notice? What kind of periodic tenancy do you have, statutory or contractual?

Do not panic. You do not have to leave 30th June and no being removed from the property by bailiffs will not affect your ability to get a mortgage. Not paying the court fees might though so if things get that far make sure you do.

Read G_M's Guide to Ending/Renewing an AST for more information.
  • joehfax
    joehfax Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Thanks for your reply, we are in England and the letter was a section 21 notice, I'm not sure if it's a contractual or statutory period tenancy, what is the difference?

Thanks again.
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you like the house and are ready to buy have you considered making an offer to the landlord?
  • Soot2006
    Soot2006 Posts: 2,167 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Re "no pets" ; this can often be negotiable with extra pet deposit + a reference from your LL to confirm that dog doesn't mess/destroy the house, so don't necessarily give up without trying on those houses.
  • fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    Options
    So if we can't find anything we will have to choose between staying here and facing bailiffs or living in a tent somewhere.
    Bit melodramatic there, you're not going to end up living in a tent. I f your landlord wants the property back he can't just send bailiffs round, he would have to take you to court to get possession first.
    If you've got enough savings for a deposit on a house you could consider offering 6 months rent up front/a large pet deposit to get around the dog issue?
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi Thanks for your reply, we are in England and the letter was a section 21 notice, I'm not sure if it's a contractual or statutory period tenancy, what is the difference?

Thanks again.
    An s21 notice does not end a tenancy nor require tenant to leave: If merely, on expiry & if valid (many are not - check it against...
    https://markprichard.co.uk/content/documents/180408-Section-21-checker-tool.pdf

)
    - permits landlord to start court eviction process:

Takes months... If notice invalid DO NOT TELL LANDLORD!! That will merely get a correct notice quicker...

Don't panic, you've way way more time. Perhaps landlord would wish to "encourage" you to go by some particular date, for lots of £££. I'd want £5k+
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Or try Openrent. My ex couldn't even get LA's to register him as a prospective tenant when he tried to register with them. Used Openrent and out of three properties he looked at, he was offered 2. He had two dogs. It seems LA's just say no, meeting a LL face to face, they don't use the same formulae.
  • joehfax
    Options
    Fosterdog wrote: »
    If you like the house and are ready to buy have you considered making an offer to the landlord?

Hi Thanks for your reply, although the house is fine to live in it is only a 2 bed property and we will need more than this hopefully in the next year or 2, and wouldn't want to use the stamp duty exemption as FTB only to move in a couple of years.
  • joehfax
    Options
    Soot2006 wrote: »
    Re "no pets" ; this can often be negotiable with extra pet deposit + a reference from your LL to confirm that dog doesn't mess/destroy the house, so don't necessarily give up without trying on those houses.

Hi Thanks for your reply, we have asked a few times but always been told no, but will keep asking.
  • joehfax
    Options
    Bit melodramatic there, you're not going to end up living in a tent. I f your landlord wants the property back he can't just send bailiffs round, he would have to take you to court to get possession first.
    If you've got enough savings for a deposit on a house you could consider offering 6 months rent up front/a large pet deposit to get around the dog issue?

Thanks for your reply, yes this was an attempt at humour it's my way of dealing with stress lol, our deposit is locked up in 2 Life time ISA's but could and have offered a pet deposit.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure