Stair lift .. Retailers and brands

Options
We are in the market for a stairlift. It will be a curved type with 14 steps and 2 180 degree turns.

We have had a small number of quotes so far and it is getting increasingly complicated ..bit like a cross between comparing mobile phone contracts and double glazing sales tactics.

I have a few questions which someone more experienced in this field may be ablate help us with.

Which brand, Stannah, Acorn-Brookes, Platinum etc 'better engineered/made' or are they much the same. Are there any to avoid?

So far quotes vary for our situation vary from £3800 (1yr warranty)for a recon Stannah Sienna to £5200 for a new platinum (3 yr warranty) I wonder is there any real advantage in a new system? It seems whatever you have the rail is made new and the only difference between recon and new is the chair.

Out of warranty service/support off similar service levels but vary in price from £225 pa to £300 pa. Some do annual servicing ...others work on them as needed. Non warranty callouts they claim vary from £80 upwards and servicing from £120.

I wonder are these type of figures in line with what the people are being quoted in the north west of England.

Finally are there any companies people recommend as retailers or others to avoid based on personal experience?

Comments

• B_G_B
    B_G_B Posts: 502 Forumite
    Options
    Can’t help with your questions directly as a stairlift is not suitable for my needs / would not have fitted well in my home.

I recently had a through-the-floor lift fitted. Dearer than a stairlift. Supplied and installed by Wessex. Very impressed.

I am no way connected with Wessex other than being a very happy customer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure