npower - sheer incompetence

Options
egyptiancotton
egyptiancotton Posts: 525 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
edited 17 December 2017 at 10:10PM in Energy
Having a bit of a nightmare with npower at the moment...

September last year I had my meter safety inspection. A few months later, my npower account was thrown into cayos - I had two account numbers instead of one, my tariffs had disappeared, lost my bills, meter readings, etc. It turned out that the meter safety inspector had gone back to npower and told them I had changed to a PAYG meter which wasn't the case. It took npower a month and a half to find out what had happened and why. npower had to roll back months' worth of bills because I had been charged at the standard rate instead of my fixed rate. I was re-billed at the lowest rate and compensated for the hassle.

Friday this week, I received a text from npower thanking me for telling them that I'm moving home. My first thought was, "Oh, here we go". I logged into my account to check what was going on and found out that my electric tariff had disappeared, my bills and meter readings have disappeared, and my credit amount has been grossly miscalculated. I complained to npower and they promised to look into the issue and get back to me. Less than 5 minutes after speaking to them on the phone, they called me back and said they had taken a look into my account in the background and the problem is more complicated than they thought, and they strongly suspect it's linked to the erroneous meter exchange update that happened earlier this year. I don't understand why it could be linked because my account and bills have been fine since then.

They know they're in the sh*t this time. I just don't understand how they can be so incompetent.

Comments

• matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,609 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hopefully you've been keeping copies of your bills and statements and not just relying being able to view them on line because if it all goes everso wrong you wont have any documentary evidence of where you are.

You dont have to print out loads of paper but just download PDF copies or even screenshots and save them. You should also keep them for several years after you leave your supplier - just in case
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • nPower
    nPower Posts: 1,319 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    lloydyyy wrote: »
    Having a bit of a nightmare with npower at the moment...

September last year I had my meter safety inspection. A few months later, my npower account was thrown into cayos - I had two account numbers instead of one, my tariffs had disappeared, lost my bills, meter readings, etc. It turned out that the meter safety inspector had gone back to npower and told them I had changed to a PAYG meter which wasn't the case. It took npower a month and a half to find out what had happened and why. npower had to roll back months' worth of bills because I had been charged at the standard rate instead of my fixed rate. I was re-billed at the lowest rate and compensated for the hassle.

Friday this week, I received a text from npower thanking me for telling them that I'm moving home. My first thought was, "Oh, here we go". I logged into my account to check what was going on and found out that my electric tariff had disappeared, my bills and meter readings have disappeared, and my credit amount has been grossly miscalculated. I complained to npower and they promised to look into the issue and get back to me. Less than 5 minutes after speaking to them on the phone, they called me back and said they had taken a look into my account in the background and the problem is more complicated than they thought, and they strongly suspect it's linked to the erroneous meter exchange update that happened earlier this year. I don't understand why it could be linked because my account and bills have been fine since then.

They know they're in the sh*t this time. I just don't understand how they can be so incompetent.

Hello lloydyyy

Thank you for your post

Please email your account number or address to the email showing in our signature; a member of the team will be happy to look into your bills and what's going on.

Thanks

Beth :)
    Official Company Representative"
    I am the official company representative of nPower. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE.
    If we ask you to contact us, please do so using helpandsupport@npower.com - MSE Forum has temporarily allowed the display of our contact details in our signature due to a technical issue with our profile
  • egyptiancotton
    edited 18 December 2017 at 10:22AM
    Options
    nPower wrote: »
    Hello lloydyyy

Thank you for your post

Please email your account number or address to the email showing in our signature; a member of the team will be happy to look into your bills and what's going on.

Thanks

Beth :)

Hi Beth,

Thanks for getting in touch. A formal complaint has already been raised and I've been told an update will be provided within 7-10 days. I'll be happy to send an e-mail to the address in your signature but the complaints team are probably already looking into the issue as we speak.

I've no idea what's happened or why but unfortunately I haven't got a backup of my meter readings nor bills, apart from a few meter readings for the past few months stored on my phone. The advisors I spoke to said all my meter readings and bills are safe on the back-end systems, and it should be a simple job to replicate them to the front-end. I relied on my account to be my single source of information but I won't make the same mistake again. But as soon as the issue has been resolved, I'll be looking to switch supplier. The erroneous meter exchange was apparently resolved months ago and it would seem the issue has come back to bite once again.
  • egyptiancotton
    Options
    MABLE wrote: »
    I have been backwards and forwards over the years with N Power and my experience is only positive. To me the are one of the best companies to deal with.

I normally find the secret is to give regular meter readings and then in my case everything goes like clock work.

I normally give meter readings every month and then also when the bills are due.

To be fair, the advisors I spoke to did give me confidence that the issue will be sorted. They held their hands up, admitted fault, and assured me everything will be put right.
  • egyptiancotton
    Options
    Just a quick update. I logged into my account this morning and noticed I now have 2 account numbers instead of 1 (exactly the same issue as the erroneous meter exchange that happened previously. And my electricity account is marked as standard PAYG instead of standard DD, and the electric meter read on 26/09/16 is wrong - which is when the meter inspector had reported that I was on a PAYG meter.

Looks like my account has been properly messed up. I'm still waiting to hear back from npower but I'll update the thread when they get back to me.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just another day at nPower. If they can find a way to screw something up, they will. The Putting It Right Dept. is permanently out to lunch and, if you ever do get through, they somehow make it all the customer's fault.

Are you sure your "complaint" is not really "feedback", OP? You must be getting special treatment, then.

Good luck!
  • egyptiancotton
    Options
    Smodlet wrote: »
    Just another day at nPower. If they can find a way to screw something up, they will. The Putting It Right Dept. is permanently out to lunch and, if you ever do get through, they somehow make it all the customer's fault.

Are you sure your "complaint" is not really "feedback", OP? You must be getting special treatment, then.

Good luck!

Thanks for the good luck, I think I'll need it.

It's definitely a complaint - one of the advisors called me back and logged a complaint on my behalf, and npower admitted fault. It's absolutely beyond a joke how this erroneous meter exchange has caused a problem 9 months down the line. I'll let you know how I get on.
  • hareng
    hareng Posts: 581 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Unfortunately ive had worse than that from 80% of other suppliers, there all as bad.
  • egyptiancotton
    edited 20 December 2017 at 3:57PM
    Options
    I can see npower has stripped out the rest of my electricity meter readings and added their own, which are completely wrong. They've added one for 26/09/16 which I know for a fact is wrong because it was the reading submitted by the meter inspector, and I have screenshots of my meter readings up to 06/10/16. The other two readings for 27/04/17 and 23/10/17 are also wrong because I have meter readings for the past few months stored on my phone, and I'm pretty sure I have a few copies of some bills from this year on my laptop.

I last spoke to npower yesterday and the advisor said that the case handler is trying to reverse the state of my account back to a known point when it was all in order. I noted to the advisor on the phone that the state it's in now is what it was like after the meter inspector had wrongly told npower I had changed to a PAYG meter, and why not just reverse my account back to the state it was in after the issue was resolved months ago. The advisor said that the account needs to be rolled back to a 'last known good point' and assured me that even though it looks messy now, all my bills and meter readings are safe and the issue will be resolved. In that case, what on earth was the point in the last case handle reversing 8 months' or so worth or bills, re-billing me at the lowest rate, and adding credit to my account as a goodwill gesture?

What an absolute mess. At this rate I'll be taking my complaint to Ofgem :mad:
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you were re-billed at the lowest possible rate and given compensation, I would suggest you achieved the best possible outcome at that point. Complaining to Ofgem is largely pointless as, unless they find in your favour, nothing will be done and they are, apparently, the energy industry's b!tc# with no real power to do anything. They are also very limited in what they can do even were they to find in your favour; just read threads on here from people who have approached them. I can't remember a single one where the poster was happy with the outcome but I have not read them all.

Basically, we are all at the mercy of energy companies because they are not regulated in any meaningful way. When you think about it, it is not in the government's interest to regulate them as they make their shareholders too much money... I wonder how many of their shareholders are MPs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure