PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buyer wants us to pay for electric survey before exchange

Options
I thought it was up to the buyer to pay for this?

It has been requested because her survey found that 1 light fitting is not unearthed. I don't know if the surveyor tested any others.

Thanks.

Comments

• Surrey_EA
    Surrey_EA Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Your buyer can ask you to pay for it, and it's up to you to decide whether you wish to or not. If you do not want to pay for it then the buyer needs to decide whether they wish to pay for it themselves or proceed without an electrical test.

Almost all surveys will recommend having an electrical inspection of some kind, as surveyors are not trained electricians, and cannot verify the condition of the electrics.
  • tykesi
    tykesi Posts: 2,061 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    loveka wrote: »
    I thought it was up to the buyer to pay for this?

It has been requested because her survey found that 1 light fitting is not unearthed. I don't know if the surveyor tested any others.

Thanks.

So it is earthed then?
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If you pay for it, or at least agree to go halves, you can get a copy of the report for other potential buyers to use, just in case the current buyers pull-out.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Tell the buyer to pay for it themselves.
    If you pay for it they will ask you to pay for something else.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • loveka
    loveka Posts: 535 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    tykesi wrote: »
    So it is earthed then?

No, it's not earthed. Aurocorrect.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm surprised their surveyor went as far as checking the lightfitting for an earth. Normally they only comment on electrical defects if something is obviously hanging off the wall etc.
  • n217970
    n217970 Posts: 338 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    How has this surveyor come to the conclusion the fitting is unearthed? Has he removed the fitting from the ceiling/wall and checked the wiring? Besides if the fitting is double insulated (if it is modernish it probably is) then an earth is not required.

Let the buyer know you are happy for them to have the electrics surveyed at their cost.

If you do pay for it, employ your own surveyor, not the one they want.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    davidmcn wrote: »
    I'm surprised their surveyor went as far as checking the lightfitting for an earth. Normally they only comment on electrical defects if something is obviously hanging off the wall etc.

Indeed. Surveyors are not electricians and don't test electrics. Have you actually seen the report? The buyer might just be saying the survey said this in order to demand you pay for an electrical inspection..........

Whatever, either

* offer to pay half, if you think the report might be useful to you (eg for a subsequent buyer), or

* offer to allow access for an electrician the buyer instructs/pays for himself.
  • Clutterfree
    Clutterfree Posts: 3,678 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Also, unless the house has recently been rewired then it is highly unlikely to conform to current regulations.
    Electrical regulations change all the time.
    We sold our home 8 months ago and I asked my electrician husband to do an electrical certificate. He refused because, even though the electrics were perfectly safe, they would not conform to current regulations and would probably panic any potential buyers.
    :heart: Ageing is a privilege not everyone gets.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure