BMW timing chain snapped

Options

Comments

• takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    DoaM wrote: »
    I suspect most of us knew what the OP meant, without needing to resort to technical pedantry. :)

I wouldn't say it's technical pedantry to point out that Cam Belt isn't just another name for a Timing Chain. Some people really do not have a clue about these things and if they read this thread it could easily confuse them.
  • zooks
    zooks Posts: 101 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 19 September 2017 at 8:32AM
    Options
    Not a lot of good to you now but long service intervals have been blamed for these engines going bang. I have a 118d and I get the oil changed ever 10k max.
    BMW recommends something like 30k for oil changes! No thanks.
    Google the 1 series forums, babybmw etc. There's a guy up north making a good living from rebuilding these engines for a reasonable cost.

Edit* This is the guys site
    http://www.petervanderveer.co.uk/
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    zooks wrote: »
    Not a lot of good to you now but long service intervals have been blamed for these engines going bang. I have a 118d and I get the oil changed ever 10k max.
    BMW recommends something like 30k for oil changes! No thanks.
    Google the 1 series forums, babybmw etc. There's a guy up north making a good living from rebuilding these engines for a reasonable cost.

Edit* This is the guys site
    http://www.petervanderveer.co.uk/

Yes, - but that's 30K kilometers (or 2 years) which is displayed on the i-drive after a BMW dealer workshop oil & filter change as the distance until the next oil & filter change.

If you prefer it in Imperial the i-drive would show 18K miles - and before anyone corrects me, I know that is not an accurate conversion but that is what is displayed.

I agree though that many people think that 18K miles or two years is too long.
  • savvysearcher
    Options
    Apologies for the delayed response but thank you for all your helpful replies. Yes, after research found out the N47 engine's has been plagued by timing chain snapping. My mistake of not taking it to BMW has cost me - wrongly thought that without warranty there is little comeback but in my defence not knowing at the time there was these issues with certain BMW engines. With service history should have just took it anyhow. Indy garage is not repairing. BMW do offer a goodwill policy gesture but the car having been looked at a independent makes the possibility of BMW offering anything now minimal or non-existent.
  • Jinjaxxx
    Options
    I'd never heard of an N47 until my car engine seized whilst driving last week.
    2011 520D 100k on clock; full BMWMDSH.

The crankshaft isn't turning. BMW have quoted me £2000 JUST to investigate and confirm the cause of the issue. I'm pretty sure it's the timing chain has failed. All the symptoms match up with what I've found on the internet.

Even though I've full Service History, BMW are not offering to assist in anyway.
    Does anyone know of solicitors who have taken this matter forwards on behalf of others?

Thx!
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,477 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Jinjaxxx wrote: »
    I'd never heard of an N47 until my car engine seized whilst driving last week.
    2011 520D 100k on clock; full BMWMDSH.

The crankshaft isn't turning. BMW have quoted me £2000 JUST to investigate and confirm the cause of the issue. I'm pretty sure it's the timing chain has failed. All the symptoms match up with what I've found on the internet.

Even though I've full Service History, BMW are not offering to assist in anyway.
    Does anyone know of solicitors who have taken this matter forwards on behalf of others?

Thx!

7 year old car - i cant see BMW making any sort of contribution. Their warranty obligations are 3 years.

Its also worth bearing in mind that it would be cheaper to get it done at an independent (or replace the engine) rather than pay BMW dealer rates. Even IF BMW make a "contribution", it might be £1,000 towards a £6,000 bill compared to maybe £3,000 getting it done at an indie.

Its a very sad state of affairs mind you that owners are being left high and dry - particularly on cars that even at say 7 years old still have a very large monetary value attached to them.

My son had a 2009 120d M Sport and he ran it from 50,000 miles to just over 80,000. We had it serviced at the 18,000 marker (or thereabouts when the car asked for it) but did a genuine filter and oil change every 9,000 miles. We also checked and topped it up with oil where necessary weekly. That seems to lessen the risk, rather than rely on BMWs particularly long service intervals. We bottled out at 84,000 miles and sold it though.
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Response given the chain is expected to run the life of the car despite mileage or years

Even more reason to have taken it straight back to BMW then.
  • motorguy
    Options
    Iceweasel wrote: »
    Yes, - but that's 30K kilometers (or 2 years) which is displayed on the i-drive after a BMW dealer workshop oil & filter change as the distance until the next oil & filter change.

If you prefer it in Imperial the i-drive would show 18K miles - and before anyone corrects me, I know that is not an accurate conversion but that is what is displayed.

I agree though that many people think that 18K miles or two years is too long.

+1

18,000 miles is far too much on a diesel
  • motorguy
    Options
    Even more reason to have taken it straight back to BMW then.

Do BMW themselves say that though?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »
    +1

18,000 miles is far too much on a diesel

Depends on the design of the vehicle. One of the trucks I've driven, a Mercedes Actros, uses a centrifugal oil cleaner and is on 100,000km oil changes. Given they're not broken down at the side of the road and manage several hundred thousand kilometres without a spanner being put near the engine suggests it isn't an issues.

Engineering Explained covers long life Mobil oil which claims to be good for 20,000 mile oil changes and looks at their test procedure with Mobil giving him in house access to their tests. They ran vehicles for 300,000 miles, checking every 5,000 miles for wear, and pulled apart the engines and they were fine. They had one they ran to 500,000 miles and the only thing to fail was the automatic gearbox, engine wear was very light.

We don't live in the 1970s any more either with the oils we use or the tolerances engines are built to.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure