IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

CPM Parking Charge for Unauthorised Parking

Options
Murlton
Murlton Posts: 52 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
edited 18 October 2016 at 10:10AM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
Hi guys,

First of all I'd just like to apologise for making yet another thread about probably a very similar situation to someone previously 'charged' by UK CPM. However, after reading many different posts and the NEWBIE thread I'm still unsure how exactly I should move forward with this.

I've come to understand it's no longer a good idea to just out right ignore the 'invoice' as soon as you get it, this was always how I thought this should be handled. When did this change?

So, the story.. I was looking for parking at my local Tesco Metro (located on a small piece of land that shares with two other stores, a loan shop and a restaurant) and the car park was full, so I parked outside the front of the restaurant (this is still on the car park, just not within a bay). This is a routine thing that happens, you'd be hard pressed to find a time or day when someone isn't parked there as there are often 2-3 cars parked in that area outside of a bay. Looking at the photo of my car it appears one of my wheels may have JUST been in a yellow hatched box, however I'm not sure if that's the problem or if it's just being out of a bay. Having received this letter I didn't think there were any signs showing the restrictions but it appears they do exist quite high up. Everyone I've spoken to about this has been surprised there were signs as each thought they didn't exist. Having looked on google maps, the signs were not present as of June 2016 so this must be a rather new thing they've put in place.

Anyway, yes I was parked outside of a bay and yes I may have been slightly within a yellow hatched box, but I was not blocking any entrances and it was for a maximum or five minutes. The reason I've commented is because I'm not sure if I have a leg to stand on with this?

Looking through the forums it seems the course of action required is to appeal using the generic IPC letter with the 8 points. This appeal will they most definitely be rejected, and then I should do what? Is that the point I begin ignoring them or should I appeal to the IAS first? Is there any point I should contact the restaurant I was parked outside of and see if they will cancel it?

Many thanks guys and girls, sorry again if you've heard all this before. I just need a push in the right direction is all!

Thanks

Comments

• Carthesis
    Options
    Yes, contact the restaurant.

Yes, appeal using the generic IPC letter - you might want to tweak the wording a little to correspond to your circumstances, but *DO NOT REVEAL THE DRIVER IDENTITY!**

Yes, they'll reject it.

No, probably little point appealling to IAS in your case.

Yes, ignore ignore ignore after the official appeal. Worry about it when you get a Letter from the County Court, if ever.
  • Murlton
    Options
    Hi Carthesis, thanks for the reply!

What angle should I approach the restaurant with? Do I just tell them I didn't realise, it's an honest mistake and could they please try to revoke it? Or should I get all legal with them?

Thanks again
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Do you (or have you ever) used that restaurant? If you've been a customer then they may be more inclined to help.
  • Murlton
    Options
    Unfortunately no, I have never eaten there. It's a fairly new establishment. I can't see them just being okay with letting me off, but I'll try.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,757 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 3 April 2017 at 8:06PM
    Options
    Looking through the forums it seems the course of action required is to appeal using the generic IPC letter with the 8 points. This appeal will they most definitely be rejected, and then I should do what?
    Nothing. It's just often advised not to ignore it, we find, not look like a victim with their head in the sand.
    Is that the point I begin ignoring them
    Yes, and ignore debt collector letters! Come back if you get a claim (rare) or solicitor's letter.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Murlton
    Options
    So, I went to the restaurant and they claimed it's nothing to do with them and I should take my issue up with Tesco next door. So I spoke to the staff in Tesco and they claimed the restaurant owner is the one doing this! Basically lot's of finger pointing going on!

Funnily enough, when I was speaking to the (presumed) manager of the restaurant, someone interrupted us recording on his phone asking if the manager had any affiliation with the restaurant.. which he denied. When asked a second time if he has anything to do with the restaurant at all, he again replied no! So this tells me something dodgey is going on!

I checked the signs at Tesco and they have printed out A4 pieces of paper with a bit of text on and stuck these to some of the windows, I was surprised to hear they'd been put up months ago.. don't recall ever seeing them!

Anyway, looks like I'll have to go through with the appeal then, by the way the Tesco staff said anyone who's got one has just ignored it. Why is this opposed compared to doing an appeal you know will get rejected? How does it affect the process differently? If anything, by opening up communication with them am I not just giving them someone to bother?

Thanks for all the responses so far guys
  • Murlton
    Options
    The IPC template letter I should send.. should it more or less be a direct copy and paste job? Or should I detail it towards my situation a bit? One argument I have is the first picture is of my number plate up close and nothing else, the second is of the shop I'm parked next to and you can't even see my car as it's too dark. Should I claim the photo evidence isn't sufficient enough?

Thanks
  • Ralph-y
    Ralph-y Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I would not alter it .....

not that it matters ....

they will refuse it ....

if you had an exemption note from the queen ..... they would still refuse it:eek:

Ralph:cool:
  • Murlton
    Options
    Hi Ralph, thanks for the reply.

Can I ask why it's deemed beneficial to appeal before you start ignoring them?
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,757 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    As I said already:
    It's just better not to ignore it, we find, not look like a victim with their head in the sand.
    Some parking firms sue and we find many of those parking firms are more likely to cherry-pick ignorers, in the hope that person panics and pays or ignores & gets a CCJ by default.

Secondly, if a case ever goes to a small claim (defendable!) then a Judge will be more impressed with a Defendant who reasonably responded early on, stating from the outset that they are not liable as the keeper of the car and asking for further information, which, if the PPC doesn't provide it, makes THEM look unreasonable, which isn't difficult with this industry! Maintain that moral high ground then ignore daft debt collector missives!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure