Charged for Sold item but It didn't sell

Options
Hi
We had a Jukebox on ebay in November at a starting price of £1000 and it didn't sell.
Whilst the auction was live we had contact from some one who wanted to come and look at it so gave out a mobile number for which we got a warning.
The person decided against bidding on it and the item didn't sell during auction.

The Jukebox was then relisted at the end of November and finished on the 3rd December.(not selling again)

We received a bill for November with a selling fee of £99.96 :(

After contacting ebay we were told that as far as they are concerned we had sold the Jukebox out of ebay as we gave out contact details and will not refund the fees.

Has any one got any advice on what legal road to take now please as we feel we do not owe these fees

Many thanks in advance
Terry

Comments

• theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Terry, you have fallen foul of eBay's new draconian policy whereby personal details cannot be exchanged pre-sale.

The only advice I can offer is to ring and speak with them and let them know the item didn't sell (citing the second listing details) and that it also failed to sell then.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,206 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This is the 2nd similar scenario now in 2 days so this appears to be eBay's latest move on the 'off ebay sales' . I haven't come across other cases yet on other boards but will probably have a read of the community boars later to see if this is widespread.

I might put a warning thread up , I did think we already had one but can't find it. Ebay is now not a safe place to sell items that could reasonably expect to be viewed.

OP, you might want to see if you can find others that have been similarly affected, perhaps try the community boards and see what advice people have for 'trigger words' that get ebay to listen and remove the charge.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • TJKW
    Options
    Have spoken to them twice and made an appeal... Left on hold for 2 minutes, told I was being referred to a supervisor , put on hold for another 2 minutes, and so on
    Then basically told tough s**t you'll have to pay it

A WARNING thread would be good also anything on social media Twitter Facebook etc to let people know what rip off merchants ebay are:mad::mad:
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you are on social media, have you tried explaining on there.

The other option (and not one I necessarily agree with) is to refuse to pay and remove your card details from your seller account.

You won't be able to use eBay again (nor will anyone with a link to your name/account/home address/bank) but you probably don't care about that at the moment.
  • maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,068 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    Options
    Write to the mail or the guardian, they seem to get the stupid decisions reversed and this is a good one for either paper
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I seem to remember a couple of years ago someone taking eBay to court and winning. They sold a phone, the buyer claimed the box arrived empty, so eBay took the money from their paypal account.

The newspapers got on board and eBay backed down and refunded the money plus court fee before it got to court.

Personally I would consider going down this route as I feel their new rules are ridiculous. You can quite easily prove that you still have the jukebox in your possession, so would win!
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    How about resisting the jukebox now and then drawing ebay's attention to the fact you are selling it because it hasn't yet been sold? You are hardly likely to have 2 identical jukeboxes sitting around to sell.
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    Dox wrote: »
    How about resisting the jukebox now and then drawing ebay's attention to the fact you are selling it because it hasn't yet been sold? You are hardly likely to have 2 identical jukeboxes sitting around to sell.

The OP has relisted it already. It didn't sell a second time.
  • Ting-Tang
    Options
    OP, you committed the cardinal sin of trying to be helpful to a potential buyer.
    Ebay don't like that and in retaliation they stole nearly £100 off you.
    I'd definitely look at taking this further one way or another.
  • Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The OP has relisted it already. It didn't sell a second time.

Nothing to stop them listing again in the hope that might drive home to ebay that it hasn't been sold yet.

OP, have you asked ebay to refer you the specific part of their T&C for sellers which entitles them to do this?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure