Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Options

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,296 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Hope you have had a lovely day :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    HairyHandofDartmoor Posts: 13,960 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hope you've had a lovely weekend HH

x
    jwil wrote: »
    Hope you are having a good weekend :)
    beanielou wrote: »
    Hope you have had a lovely day :)

Thanks all :)
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    edited 7 May 2018 at 3:37PM
    Options
    We had a fabulous day yesterday. DH, DS1 and I met my parents at Coleton Fishacre which is an NT place. It was a really good day out. Hot sunshine and blue skies, a really interesting house (very jealous of the library), and beautiful gardens. The gardens had some lovely exotic plants, ponds and sea views from some parts.

We really enjoyed it and want to go again. Entry and parking were free as we're members, we took food and cold drinks with us and just bought one coffee each. So quite a cheap day out. Then we went back to my parent's house and they treated us to takeaway curry for dinner. All in all a perfect day :).

Today DH and DS1 are chilling in front of the telly. I've pulled up loads of weeds in the garden and it looks much better. I took some before and after photos so I can see how much I've achieved. I had to stop because my back was tired, but there's plenty more to do another day. I also planted the Verbena I bought the other day in a pot. I've run out of pots now, so would like to pick up some more at some point. The flowers in the pots are looking really nice, the garden is definitely looking more colourful this year than in previous years.

I've also done a bit of laundry as it's perfect drying weather.

I hope everyone is having an amazing weekend :).
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,296 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Glad that you had such a lovely day yesterday.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    It sounds to have been an enjoyable weekend all round, HH:T. Must be lovely to have a good choice of NT venues so near to you. There's practically none within a reasonable driving distance of us so we've never bothered to join:(.

When are your 2 boys going to Iceland? Has the one with the girlfriend in New Orleans mentioned going back there again or have things cooled a bit? Sorry if you think I'm being nosy, please tell me to mind my own business if you do. Knowing you though, you're far too nice and polite to do such a thing:A
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,288 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    That's one of the things I miss now we don't have transport - being able to go to nice parks/country houses.

Glad you've had a nice bank holiday weekend :)
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    edited 7 May 2018 at 9:38PM
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    Glad that you had such a lovely day yesterday.

Thanks Beanie :)
    It sounds to have been an enjoyable weekend all round, HH:T. Must be lovely to have a good choice of NT venues so near to you. There's practically none within a reasonable driving distance of us so we've never bothered to join:(.

When are your 2 boys going to Iceland? Has the one with the girlfriend in New Orleans mentioned going back there again or have things cooled a bit? Sorry if you think I'm being nosy, please tell me to mind my own business if you do. Knowing you though, you're far too nice and polite to do such a thing:A

We are lucky that there are quite a lot of NT places in Devon and Cornwall that we can get to in a day.

Of course I don't mind you asking Carboot :). DS2 and DS3 are going to Iceland on 28th May :eek:. DS2 hasn't mentioned going back to New Orleans so I hope it will blow over eventually :o.
    Sun_Addict wrote: »
    That's one of the things I miss now we don't have transport - being able to go to nice parks/country houses.

Glad you've had a nice bank holiday weekend :)

I know what you mean SA, we didn't have a car for three years and that was the one of the things I really missed. Places like that are very hard or impossible to get to by public transport. Are there any coach trips you could go on to places like that? I hope you had a nice weekend :).
  • elizabethhull
    elizabethhull Posts: 765 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We had a fabulous day yesterday. DH, DS1 and I met my parents at Coleton Fishacre which is an NT place. It was a really good day out. Hot sunshine and blue skies, a really interesting house (very jealous of the library), and beautiful gardens. The gardens had some lovely exotic plants, ponds and sea views from some parts.

We really enjoyed it and want to go again. Entry and parking were free as we're members, we took food and cold drinks with us and just bought one coffee each. So quite a cheap day out. Then we went back to my parent's house and they treated us to takeaway curry for dinner. All in all a perfect day :).

Today DH and DS1 are chilling in front of the telly. I've pulled up loads of weeds in the garden and it looks much better. I took some before and after photos so I can see how much I've achieved. I had to stop because my back was tired, but there's plenty more to do another day. I also planted the Verbena I bought the other day in a pot. I've run out of pots now, so would like to pick up some more at some point. The flowers in the pots are looking really nice, the garden is definitely looking more colourful this year than in previous years.

I've also done a bit of laundry as it's perfect drying weather.

I hope everyone is having an amazing weekend :).

Amazing how energising and motivating good weather is. Instead of metaphorically pulling the bedclothes over our collective heads, we actually get out and DO stuff !
    And lots of good drying weather is wonderful for seeing the bottom of the laundry basket.

It's lovely again here this morning - more washing out and coffee sitting in the garden. I'm awaiting Asda.com so afraid to go back out in case I don't hear them. I've ordered stuff for our holiday a week Friday with younger daughter & grandson at a holiday 'park' near Weymouth.
    So for a whole week I shall stop wittering on your diary, HHOD !!! Even if there is free Wi-fi, I find a tablet too small to do much. Perhaps I could unplug my pc and lug the whole thing in the car boot - after all, as with all self-catering holidays, we shall have the kitchen sink with us !!
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I love Coleton Fishacre. Now I am retired I am setting myself a challenge to do all those NT properties in Devon, Cornwall and Somerset in the next couple of years that I have never done and revisit the ones I have not seen recently. I did Anthony House in SE Cornwall which is near us last Thursday and visited the woodland gardens which are beautiful.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    @elizabethhull warm weather does seem to drag us all out of hibernation :).

@enthusiasticsaver I've been to Antony House once a few years ago to see an Alice in Wonderland sculpture trail which the DC loved, but haven't been recently so it's on my list :). I want to see how many NT places we can visit just this year, only three so far so we need to step up. I fancy going to Compton Castle among other places.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure