Universal credit work capability assessment soon, what are they like?

Options
So, after going on universal credit in June 2018, I recently got my work capability assessment date letter (well today) informing me that my assessment is in January 2019. I was just wondering what they are like, what they ask, that kind of thing. I have Asperger's syndrome, dyspraxia, anxiety and depression, m.e/cfs, cowdens syndrome, asthma, ibs and hearing problems. I am currently working part time as a nursery assistant whilst studying one day a week. :) many thanks in advance, just curious to know what is potentially ahead of me.
"No one can change the past. The only thing we can do is strive to make up for our mistakes. Why must we make up for our mistakes, you ask? Because in so doing...we can find the way back to our path. And once we've found our path we can move on from our past mistakes toward a brighter future"

Phoenix Wright in Ace Attorney Rise from the Ashes

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    What to Expect
    The assessment will look at the effects of any health condition or disability on your ability to carry out a range of everyday activities. It will be carried out by a Healthcare Professional.

The Healthcare Professional will discuss your medical history and activities you undertake in a typical day. This information will be recorded but will not be a word-for-word record.

You can bring extra information or medical information with you to assist the Healthcare Professional with their report. You can bring a companion for help and support who can also supply information.

Where appropriate, you may have a physical examination which is designed to assess your function and is not the same as an examination in a diagnostic or treatment setting with a GP or Consultant.

Your verbal consent will be obtained for any physical examination to proceed, should it be necessary. You are encouraged to do as much of the examination as you feel comfortable with. You will not need to remove items of intimate clothing. A physical examination is not always required.

Once the Healthcare Professional has all the necessary information, your face-to-face interview ends. The Healthcare Professional will then evaluate the information, suggesting the most appropriate descriptors (phrases defined by DWP), and writing a justification of their choices, to complete the Assessment Report for DWP.

The Assessment Report is known as an UC85 and will be sent to the DWP.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,963 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    MarkN88 wrote: »

You can bring extra information or medical information with you to assist the Healthcare Professional with their report. You can bring a companion for help and support who can also supply information.
    Yes, you can take extra evidence with you but don't be surprised if they refuse to accept it on the day. This happens to a lot of people, myself included.

The HCP will expect the claimant to answer all the questions theirself, unless they have an appointee. Very few HCP's will allow the person with you to speak for you. They may allow them to prompt you but some won't even allow this.

You'll be assessed on your capability to do any type of work.
  • tazwhoever
    tazwhoever Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Doesn't the OP need a fit note from their GP? S/he is working as a nursery assistant.
  • poppy12345
    Options
    tazwhoever wrote: »
    Doesn't the OP need a fit note from their GP? S/he is working as a nursery assistant.
    The OP will already be sending them in because you can't claim LCW without one.
  • Feyfangirl
    Options
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    The OP will already be sending them in because you can't claim LCW without one.

This is what confuses me honestly. I was told that I could have the assessment, stopped sending fit notes in October as felt I was able to do some work... I said this to the job centre and they were fine with it as my health conditions were ongoing. and they told me the fit notes were for people who cant work at all :/ though I am guessing this is wrong...
    "No one can change the past. The only thing we can do is strive to make up for our mistakes. Why must we make up for our mistakes, you ask? Because in so doing...we can find the way back to our path. And once we've found our path we can move on from our past mistakes toward a brighter future"

Phoenix Wright in Ace Attorney Rise from the Ashes
  • Philli2
    Philli2 Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    HI Alice, On principle the ESA and U/C fitness for work assessments are the same, but am I right in thinking that the U/C system does not have a point scoring system and is entirely formed off an assessors report?
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    Options
    Philli2 wrote: »
    HI Alice, On principle the ESA and U/C fitness for work assessments are the same, but am I right in thinking that the U/C system does not have a point scoring system and is entirely formed off an assessors report?

As far as I am aware to be found to have Limited Capability for Work you still have to score 15 points, just as for ESA. To also be found to have Limited Capability for Work Related Activity you only have to meet one of the relevant descriptors. If you have Limited Capability for work your claimant commitment will reflect this, if you also have Limited Capability for Work Related Activity you get additional money (LCWRA element) in your UC award.

The assessors report should be treated as only one piece of evidence the Decision Maker should consider, in practice they do usually follow the report.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy12345
    Options
    LCWRA for UC is the same as Support Group for ESA and neither of them have a points scoring system, it's about satisfy at least one of the descriptors.

LCW for UC is the same as WRAG and for both of these you need to score at least 15 points.

There's also reg 29/35 for ESA with similar reg for UC but unsure what reg it is.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

No, it is exactly the same tests, scoring system, and process as ESA.
    LCW equates to the WRAG group in ESA and requires 15 points (per calcotti).
    LCWRA equates to the Support Group in ESA, and requires that one of the SG descriptors applies or the old ESA Reg 35 (risk to health if having to attend WFI's) (per poppy).
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure