Talk talk and catch up tv

Options
Hi, I’ve had a Sony Bravia tv linked up to a talk talk free view box for about 3 years with no problems watching catch up on any programmes.

Around 6 months ago ITV4 wanted me to go through a signing in process on the tv using my e mail address and a password. It said this was required one time only. I tried unsuccessfully to do this on several occasions so didn’t bother watching catch up on Channel 4.

Now Channel 5 and also BBC are asking me to sign in with my original password to watch their catch up programmes.

Why has this stared happening and how do I do it? Can it be done on the tv or I think it may be easier if I could do it on my I pad.

Has anyone else had to do this please?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Comments

• Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,157 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Most of the broadcasters have started to use logins of various kinds.

I struggle to think of a good reason for it, although for some broadcasters it might help with rights for certain programs.

For the BBC it could help with Licence enforcement, although they have made various claims that they won't/can't use it in that way.

The mechanisms vary, but they often require setting up an ID using a PC/Tablet i.e. something with a keyboard. You then take the ID and password over to the TV. Unless/until there is a problem, it should be a one-off exercise.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    For me Iplayer and All 4 (or whatever it is now called) required a login and password the first time on the TV and not since.
  • bjbyorkshire
    Options
    Giraffe, did you log in on the actual tv or did you do it online? I messed up each time trying to do more 4 on the tv keypad that came on screen, it’s not as easy as using an I pad keyboard.

This seems to have only cropped up for me recently so maybe I never did log in when we first bought the tv. The John Lewis delivery men set it up for me when they delivered the tv and it’s only in the last few months that this has been appearing.

I will do them one at a time and see how I go. I expect my e mail address wil be bombarded with loads of unwanted stuff, sighs!

Thanks
  • giraffe69
    Options
    I logged in on the TV. Strangely with Channel 4 if you want to delete anything from your programme history you can only do it on your computer not the tV.
  • bjbyorkshire
    Options
    I don’t understand about programme history?? As I recall before I became unable to watch catchup I didn’t know I had a history?

Still can’t find time or inclination to log in to all the various Chanel sort, too much to do each day and we just say to each other “don’t worry, this programme will be repeated before very long and we can watch it then”.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

I will do them one at a time and see how I go. I expect my e mail address wil be bombarded with loads of unwanted stuff, sighs!

Thanks

Im registered with Channel 4 , BBC and Channel 5 and so far no unwanted stuff has been received.
  • giraffe69
    Options
    I don’t understand about programme history??
    A record of programmes you have watched is kept but you can remove it but only using the web version not on the tv.
    Still can’t find time or inclination to log in to all the various Chanel sort,

It's only once then all sorted.
  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,430 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    OP, you need to log into the apps with the sign in details for that app/company, nothing to do with your TV. I've done them all on my TV and smart box, and not had any junk mail either, and only had to do once, apart from ITV player which I had to re-sign in after an update.

It's pretty straightforward but you need to set up the 'account' on a PC or similar device first, then login via your TV. e.g. for BBC, go to there website or use the BBC app on a tablet, create an account with user name and password etc. then use those details to log in on your TV. Any time you login to BBC app with those details, you will log into your account with your programme history, favourites, continue watching etc. You should preferably have different passwords for each of the apps, as most of them will want your email address. I keep mine on a card in the drawer under the TV so I don't forget them.
  • bjbyorkshire
    Options
    Great info bigphil. I’ve done channels 4 and 5. I thinkI must have done bbc in a previous life so have boo record of password. I will try to do a change password on there when I can find a time that no one in the house is watching tv.

Thanks everyone for all the help given.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport