Painted bed on Tuesday morning - not dry

Options
I have got a problem!! -Painted my bed on Tuesday morning with a coat of gloss paint to freshen it up - problem is it is still not dry !! - Have had windows open during the day to see if helps but still very tacky. What can I do ........ literally loosing sleep :(:(:(

btw -
Was originally painted with chalk paint which chipped easily and thought this would wear better.
[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][/FONT]

Comments

• AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Oil based gloss?

Unless you!!!8217;ve put an excessively thick coat on it should be dry by now so odds on it hasn!!!8217;t keyed to the previous paint.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Old paint? If it has not dried by now it never will.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,993 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    As above, it will not dry any more now. I'm afraid you've got the messy job of stripping it off to get back to a paintable surface.
  • BOBS
    BOBS Posts: 2,871 Forumite
    Options
    Oil based gloss?

Unless you!!!8217;ve put an excessively thick coat on it should be dry by now so odds on it hasn!!!8217;t keyed to the previous paint.
    I put on one layer and noticed couple hours later that not great coverage so put on another over it..... only in parts though, the sides where just one layer not dry either.
    missile wrote: »
    Old paint? If it has not dried by now it never will.
    Brand new tin out of B&Q - so expect not old as their turnover bound to be quick enough
    As above, it will not dry any more now. I'm afraid you've got the messy job of stripping it off to get back to a paintable surface.

How would I even start to strip a bed with all those nook and crannys ?

Starting to think a trip to the furniture showroom may be required.

EDIT - blasting with blow heater for an hour to see if helps
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,993 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    BOBS wrote: »
    I put on one layer and noticed couple hours later that not great coverage so put on another over it..... only in parts though, the sides where just one layer not dry either.
    That may very well be the problem. Most gloss paints specify several hours between coats. Are you certain all the single coat bits are still sticky, too? I wonder if you've applied it too thickly?
  • BOBS
    Options
    That may very well be the problem. Most gloss paints specify several hours between coats. Are you certain all the single coat bits are still sticky, too? I wonder if you've applied it too thickly?

yes side bars of bed only one coat as they are not seen - and not overly thick either - definitely getting drier just very slow.

Only had small window free to paint bed so kinda just went for second coat :(
  • BOBS
    edited 4 May 2018 at 9:27AM
    Options
    both windows wide open during day .........
  • BOBS
    Options
    UPDATE !!!
    almost a week later and a lot of blow heater my bed is ready to sleep in again!! -
    thanks for all advice.
  • Ruski
    Ruski Posts: 1,628 Forumite
    Options
    Blimey - you'd better tell us what the brand and model of paint it was so everyone else can avoid it!

Cheers

Russ
    Perfection takes time: don't expect miracles in a day :D
  • BOBS
    Options
    Ruski wrote: »
    Blimey - you'd better tell us what the brand and model of paint it was so everyone else can avoid it!

Cheers

Russ

B&Q Colours - one coat satin !!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business