Composite Door Rip-Off!

Options
Are Composite doors worth the money, the last door i purchased was solid oak and lasted 44 years and is still going strong, it cost £150 and £70 fitted however, i now need a back door and i'm faced with these new composite doors with fitting in excess of a grand££.
Anyone have any advice on this please?:mad:
Enjoy everyday like it's your last!

Comments

• onomatopoeia99
    Options
    Frank99 wrote: »
    Are Composite doors worth the money, the last door i purchased was solid oak and lasted 44 years and is still going strong, it cost £150 and £70 fitted however, i now need a back door and i'm faced with these new composite doors with fitting in excess of a grand££.

£220 in 1974 would be about £2500 today. You could get a door made and fitted in solid oak for that.

edit - Interesting that you are complaining about a new door being 40% of the price it was in 1974 in real terms though. I agree that composite is not the best option (better than PVCu though), but it depends how much you want to pay.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • Typhoon2000
    Typhoon2000 Posts: 1,122 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    They have advantages and disadvantages.
    They require less maintenance to look good, don!!!8217;t expand and warp like wood and as it comes with the frame the sealing in much better and keeps draughts out. Can cost more than a basic wooden door though.
  • Frank99
    Frank99 Posts: 609 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I am probably stuck in the past but these new doors feel full of hollow foam to me, so i would have hoped for a better price. I'm struggling to get solid oak versions as everywhere i look i'm faced with PVC vs Composite.:o
    Enjoy everyday like it's your last!
  • tonyh66
    tonyh66 Posts: 1,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    try contacting a local jonery company and get one made, you probably won't get one off the shelf
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Options
    There are composite doors made with a solid core, so if this is what you want then that is what you specify. They are readily available - even my non- favoured DoorStop have started to manufacture them.

I avoided solid core doors for my home because I am not convinced they are a step forward. Those with long memories in the building industry may remember when solid core external doors came on the market. A flawed concept because the core could take up moisture and swell/distort. With micro porous paints and stains this was alleviated, plus sealing all edges. However a composite door has a fibreglass skin. Thus any moisture entering will not be able to evaporate away. Not a good scenario!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure