We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Newbie gardening question

Options
I bought a 6 pack of geraniums from B&Q today and planted them out. Now I'm just wondering if I was meant to take them out of the "teabag" that each plant was grown in?! I've checked the picture instruction on the side, but I'm still not sure.
If I was meant to take them out first, can I dig them up, remove the teabag then re-plant? I feel like a real newbie at this gardening lark!

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,833 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    No you plant them as they are.
    However depending on where you are in the country it might be a bit early for planting out unless you're in a sheltered spot/can protect them from any late frosts.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Skibunny40
    Skibunny40 Posts: 436 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Phew, thanks Elsien.
    I bought some more geraniums that I haven't planted yet - should I keep them in the shed for a bit? (and remember to water them, obviously!)
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,265 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Skibunny40 wrote: »
    Phew, thanks Elsien.
    I bought some more geraniums that I haven't planted yet - should I keep them in the shed for a bit? (and remember to water them, obviously!)
    Yes, you may need to turn them to get equal light & stop going leggy

In future years, let the garden centre / nursery etc have the worry about it, and then you buy them after frost in your area is not a problem

Don't worry, they won't run out. GC love people who buy early and plant out before the last frost, two sales for one, just watch the young tender tomato & bean plants fly off the shelves this sunny Easter
    Many of the newbie buyers will be back by Whitsun for another lot
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure