Am I missing a disability payment ?

Options
Howdy !

I have been on universal credit only recently in the scheme of things .
My first payment was £315 on 5th of March . I actually joined universal credit on 29 jan
My next payment is due on Tuesday £317. Fair enough .

When I went to my first appointment with my coach at the job centre I was advised to get a fit note , as I have Myasthenia Gravis .
My Doctor has given me one that is for six moths initially .
Regarding council tax , universal credit took £120.21 from my account and I don't have to pay anything more for six months .
The remainder of the council tax will be £3.60 in September and £20 for the rest of the tax year. No problem with that .

I am told to give the fit note directly by hand to the job centre .
However, when I went into the council tax offices giving my income details I gave them the fit note which they copied and gave back to me hence the reduced bill.

I am due to see my coach in the middle of April and will give the coach the fit note in person then.

As I am new to all this , I expect to go for ltd capability for work assessment at some time . Thanks to poppy for the great advice on my previous topic in this forum .

I am so far surprised at the politeness and help so far from universal credit and Poole council .
I am just wondering if I am missing a payment for my initial 6 months fit note ?
Please could someone advise .

Thanks

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,956 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 29 March 2019 at 9:33PM
    Options
    No, you're not missing any payments. You won't be paid the extra LCWRA element (£328) until a decision's been made on your work capability assessment. If you're given LCWRA then you'll receive the extra from the 4th month of your claim from when you sent in your first fit note. This is because there's a 3 month waiting period.

If the decision is LCW then you won't receive any extra money. Like wise if the decision is fit for work.

If you haven't yet sent in your fit note to them then you'll need to do that ASAP because this will only delay the process.

I'm confused why UC took £120 for your council tax? Council tax reduction isn't part of UC and you need to claim for this separately from your local council.
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Thanks poppy .
    I probably got it wrong about uc taking money for council tax .
    I will list council tax bill as follows : Council Tax £1358.76
    Less 25% discount single occupier -£ 339.69
    Less council tax support -£ 815.26
    Less payments received -£120.22
    Total amount payable £ 83.60

It was the 'less payments received ' -£120.21 that I thought that u c had taken . I assume that when I declared my earnings and gave fit note to Poole council that Poole council took that payment ?

Thanks for clarifying my initial concern . So it's just the £317 pm and council tax discount then .
    Regarding the fit note: I scanned and added it to the u c journal as soon as I got it . They just want the original . Fair enough . It's on my
    ' to do list' ,and as I'm going to be seeing my job coach in a couple of weeks I thought it best to give it to her in person where I will be told face to face the next steps , which you have told me what to expect .
    I'm sure here are more questions that I have .

Thanks for now
  • poppy12345
    Options
    You say earnings? do you work? If you do then this could affect any UC payments you receive, if any earnings are received during your assessment period.

Payments received is what you've previously paid, it's not deducted from any UC payments.
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Sorry poppy . I know I said 'earnings ', I was tired and what I meant to say was' income ' or similar . :o just declaring everything I have in my bank accounts . I am not working .

This payments received is a bit confusing . As it's a new tax year for council tax and this is my first bill , I don't know where the payments come from . I paid full council tax up until jan this year as I was over the £6,000 limit despite not working and not claiming anything . Maybe it's got something to do with jan - April ?
  • poppy12345
    Options
    It's impossible to know what that payment was for. The only way to find out is to ring your local council Monday morning and ask them.
  • another_casualty
    Options
    I was going to bring the fit note with me , when I have my appointment with the work coach in 2 eeeks time .
    However , I got a message from universal credit prompting me to bring it to the jobcente within 7 days . No problem . No appointment was needed . I was seen in a matter of minutes, and my fit note returned to me .
    I assume now I get the dreaded forms to fill in and then assessed .
    I thought it best to post a follow up,incase it may help others .
    I'll do that when I find out more if that's ok :)
  • another_casualty
    another_casualty Posts: 6,506 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just thought I'd give an update , and ask what happens next ..

I was due to have my next appointment with the job coach on Tuesday , but after checking my u c journal I found that this has been cancelled . My next appointment will be in Sept around the end of my six month fit note . The appointment , is for ' further information '.
    Fair enough . Thankfully , I have scanned everything going back to when I first got symytoms to the present day . I will bring originals with me or copies , whatever they require . I will ask my doctor for another fit note for at least the same again , as I still have various symptoms of my condition .Mainly coming off of prednisolone finally which takes a long time for my natural hormones to resurface plus the confusion in my body and wellbeing while being in pain daily .

I'm wondering what the next step will be . Is this the discussion discussing my ability to work ? I obviously haven't been paid anything extra while I'm unfit for 6 months . Just apprehensive .
    Thanks
  • poppy12345
    Options

I'm wondering what the next step will be . Is this the discussion discussing my ability to work ? I obviously haven't been paid anything extra while I'm unfit for 6 months . Just apprehensive .
    Thanks

You haven't been claiming UC for 6 months yet. Your first payment was in March, that's not 6 months.

As i previously advised, you will be sent a work capability assessment form, which you'll need to fill in and return, with all your evidence.

Once this is sent back you'll most likely be called for a face to face assessment where you'll be asked questions about how your conditions affect you and your ability to do any type of job. Once that is done a report will be written and returned to DWP then a decision maker/case manager will make a decision on your claim.

If you're given LCWRA then you'll receive the extra money each month which is payable from the 4th month of your claim from when you sent in your first fit note. If it takes longer than this to make a decision then you'll be back dated the money.

If the decision is just LCW then you won't receive any extra money each month.

If the decision is either LCW or LCWRA then you won't need to send anymore fit notes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure