Veterans ID Card for older veterans.

Hello

I have been reading about Veterans ID cards. I can see that servicemen/women who have retired are now allowed to keep their ID card which entitles them to certain discounts but also I think for some it is 'part of them'.

My Dad retired from the army in 1982 and I am trying to work out if I can help him apply for an official veterans ID card.

I'm a bit nervous of falling into a 'non-official' card scam so thought I would ask here first for any ideas.

I have tried .gov.uk and the RBL search. I can find info of the corners being cut on current cards so they can be retained but nothing for the older lot. Are they still eligible?

Any pointers on if he is entitled and how to apply welcome please.

Comments

• knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 6,988 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I got one of these, get discounts at various places with it.
    https://www.defenc!!!!!!!!!!ervice.co.uk
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I got one of these, get discounts at various places with it.
    www.defenc!!!!!!!!!!ervice.co.uk

What IS the matter with this site's anti rude words software !!

www.defence discount service .co.uk (without the gaps between defence and dis!!!!, and discount and service).

ADD: Gah !
  • DDS card well worth the initial small investment, recommended
  • Perhaps I could draw to your attention a very recent (15th October 2018) response to a written parliamentary question to Tobias Ellwood MP, the Minister for Minister for Defence People and Veterans at the MOD:
    The Veterans ID Card will be launched in December 2018 for Service Leavers and made available to Veterans in 2019.

The new ID card has two functions: to provide a memento of service and maintain a tangible link to the Armed Forces, and to ensure that public and charitable sector services and support can be provide where needed by Veterans as efficiently as possible.
    Link: www.parliament.uk/business/publications/written-questions-answers-statements/written-question/Commons/2018-10-09/177373/

Earlier in the year. one of his colleagues stated that the 'Veterans ID card' would be seperate to the DDS card (which will be retained).
  • Cyclamen
    Cyclamen Posts: 641 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Thank you everybody.. I checked a few times then assumed I'd get no answers so stopped looking. To come back and find some replies is great and I'll look at that link.

I have since found out about a veterans lapel pin badge.. issued free by government just needed to fill in Dad's army number, dates of service and erm 'section of army'. (Sorry not up with terminology).

I downloaded the form from the .gov.uk website and the badge is really lovely. Dad is wearing it with pride next to his poppies. I have since downloaded two more forms for his neighbours who are also ex-forces.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-medal-or-veterans-badge

I will look at that card thank you but in the meantime the pin badge seems to have given him a real boost.

Thanks everyone
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport