It's arrived!

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 4,176 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I think you will have a good enough insight to get through this successfully. ❤️
  • kingfisherblue
    kingfisherblue Posts: 9,203 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Fizzy11 wrote: »
    I’m sorry I disagree. If you read the advice from charities about completing the PIP forms they say use the worse day & it definitely doesn’t tell you to talk about good days. To say I’m committing fraud is disagraceful. With something like Epilepsy there are no good days because a seizure can happen at any time so you live with that day in & day out.

I disagree that you should base your application on worst days. It is potentially fraudulent, as PIP is based on average days. However, I always advise people to write about their average days and then add details of their worse days, including how often they occur and how they are affected.

I don't claim PIP myself, although I have some health issues. i'll give an example of why worst days should not be used, although they should be referred to. One of the conditions that I have is migraines. Generally speaking, when I get the 'niggle', I lie down in a dark room for several hours - I tend to get a severe pain over the corner of my right eye, see flashing lights, become nauseous, and lose the ability to speak in sentences or with clarity. However, when my migraines are worse, I cannot function for up to five days, during which time my other two children have to look after their brother and their nan (I also care for my mum). They also have to look after me. Even if it is only 24 hours, a migraine of this proportion means that I cannot move without help. I cannot wear my glasses, and the lightnening flashes are frequent and very painful to my eyes - I'm photophobic, so that doesn't help. I vomit occasionally, and am nauseous to the extent that I cannot bear to sip water, much less anything else. I cannot remember what I want to say, and my words slur and make no sense. I have to be lead by the elbow to the car, whilst my daughter drives me to the GP, and I have to place a damp flannel over my eyes because I cannot bear any light whatsoever. I cannot wash myself, and obviously I cannot cook.

Now, based on my description, it is likely that I would receive PIP - except that medical evidence would show that I am not affected at least 50% of the time. Yet based on my worst day, I should receive PIP.

Epilepsy is slightly different when someone needs to be with you in case of a seizure, so that you can be kept safe, but I still would not base it on my worst day. My late mother-in-law had epilepsy and needed someone with her at all times. She had regular absences, but major seizures only occurred about 2-3 times a year. When they did occur though, an ambulance had to be called each time.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thats my main condition epilepsy, sadly I have absences 3 or more times a day and grand mal seizures 3 times a week, on paper getting PIP should be easy but in practice maybe not so.
  • Fizzy11
    Fizzy11 Posts: 136 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My son has been on DLA then PIP & ESA for a very long time & had lots of assessments & every form has been filled in honestly. The descriptors refer to 50% of the time, safely, repeatedly & reasonable time period.

Epilepsy falls into the realms of ‘safely’ and under a new rule entitles to many people to the Mobility element of PIP however, sadly this all depends on how the form has been completed. The medication for Epilepsy has side effects regarding memory & for many anger.

Poppy I would give anything to be fraudulent because then my son would not have the severe learning difficulties he has combined with Epilepsy which because it was hard to control resulting in him fitting for hours & being seconds from death, or nearly being killed by an HGV driver because he had a seizure crossing a road. If I was fraudulent he would be able to receive benefits then !!!!!! off on holiday with his mates or even just once go to the pub with his non existent mates.

I have fought for 36 years & know all about fighting for benefits but just so you know I’m a mother not a carer so therefore have never once considered claiming that benefit.
    Good luck on Tuesday Venison. Regardless of anything you read just be honest & don’t give up.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thanks will let you know how it goes but not expecting a decision for around 6 weeks but who knows?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thank you. Good luck on Tuesday, and let us know how your assessment goes.

KFB x

I think it went well...the assessor thought that an assessment shouldn't have been necessary as I'd provided a lot of letters to back me up, she also explained that her previous job had been nursing people with epilepsy, it took about an hour and she was very thorough and polite throughout, I will just have to sit back and wait for the outcome now,will have to put it to the back of my mind.
  • kingfisherblue
    Options
    venison wrote: »
    I think it went well...the assessor thought that an assessment shouldn't have been necessary as I'd provided a lot of letters to back me up, she also explained that her previous job had been nursing people with epilepsy, it took about an hour and she was very thorough and polite throughout, I will just have to sit back and wait for the outcome now,will have to put it to the back of my mind.

I'm glad that it went well, and I hope that you receive the right result. It sounds as though she understood your condition well. Please come back and let us know whether you are happy with the outcome.

KFB x
  • Fizzy11
    Fizzy11 Posts: 136 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Venison pleased to read your assessment went well.

For anybody going through the PIP process the Gov.uk website has today updated their website on the descriptors & the other changes.
  • kingfisherblue
    Options
    OK, so I didn't ring as soon as I intended to. Life just got in the way. I rang today - I still had a week to ring, so I'm in plenty of time. I've spent some evenings gathering information after my son has gone to bed. Other evenings I've just collapsed into bed at 9pm, the same time as my son!

I made the call this afternoon, and most of it was as expected. The young man who took my call even commented that he lives a few miles up the road from me - he's about four miles away. He was very pleasant. There was one thing that I didn't expect though. Towards the end of the call, he asked me if my son had any of the following conditions: schizophrenia, dementia, ADHD, Down's Syndrome, severe developmental delay. There were a couple of other conditions that I can't remember too. I replied that my son has Down's Syndrome and severe developmental delay.

Does anyone know why I was asked this? I wondered if it was because some of these conditions may mean that the claimant can be aggressive, but that's not necessarily the case, so I'm probably wrong.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    ^^ not sure about that one tbh.
    A week after my assessment i got a text saying the dwp had received the assessment so I phoned and asked them for a copy (PA4) was told that it would take about 2 weeks, so when it comes I should have an idea of the award, so i will get a little more time to prepare for an MR if required. Fingers crossed x x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure