Weight Gain Diet?

Options
2»

Comments

• Retrogamer
    Retrogamer Posts: 4,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ok, you cant "put on weight and turn it into muscle". That implies you can add fat and turn it into muscle, which you cant.

However in terms of weight loss and gain the general principles are thus.

Burn more Kcals than you consume = lose weight
    Eat more Kcals than you burn = gain fat
    Eat more Kcals than you burn combined with good and regular weight training routine = gain muscle (and probably some fat too)

So in terms of Kcals in dont overcomplicate things. Eat a Kcal surplus of lean meats, fish, veg, fruit, nuts, seeds and pasta/rice potatoes etc. Suggest about 500 surplus per day. If you are a natural ectomorph im sure the odd ready meal will not hurt.

Exactly this.

Best just to start on gaining muscle straight away.

Plenty of carbs, calories and protein and some compound movement based weight training (deadlifts, squats, bench press) with free weights will help you bulk up, especially if you are a beginner.
    All your base are belong to us.
  • Kojak12
    Kojak12 Posts: 70 Forumite
    Options
    If you are naturally slim and want to put on a lot of muscle then you are going to have to go on one of those powerlifting programs. There are plenty to choose from but they all require a fairly intensive gym and weights program. You can't achieve the sort of weight gain you want just by running or similar. Cross fit or circuit training might get you some of the way there. You will need to supply your body with much more protein than usual. Because protein is usually packaged with fat (juicy steak) or carbs (lentils) then you can often end up eating too many calories. So you need to major on whey protein shakes, chicken breast or egg whites to support a high-level of weight training without gaining fat.

In terms of specific programs that I know people have used successfully;

1) My husband used the stronglifts 5x5 program. There is a good website, facebook groups and an app you can use to manage your training.

2) My Dad swears by the P45 training program. He uses it to slim down and rapidly gain muscle and fitness.
  • stivemorgan
    Options
    Hi there. I am new here. As I know to gain some weight it is enough just to eat more calories then you used to eat. Also if you want to gain some muscles, not only fat, you should do some workout as well :)
  • ianbar0
    ianbar0 Posts: 379 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    eat an excess of kcal, but make sure its things like meat fish etc and work out hard! its kind of the opposite to what i would like to do(burn fat and get lean)
    £18 for my old mobile.
    new proper meal planning to cut spending.
    £26 in coppers taken to bank.
    £30 under grocery budget last 2 weeks.
    £22.98 cashback quidco
    £34.02 music magpie
  • khushi353
    Options
    Hello sir

thanks
    you have suggested weight gain 6 kg increase
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories