Flu vaccine shortage

Options
2»

Comments

• pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It was always known that there'd be problems getting stock of Fluad (the vaccine for over 65s). 40% of the annual requirement is due for delivery in November, I suspect it's better to wait until then rather than have an inferior product?
  • pattycake
    pattycake Posts: 1,576 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I’ve now got my appointment through to have the flu jab. 10th November which is around 4 weeks later than in previous years.
  • carlislelass
    carlislelass Posts: 1,776 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Nick_C wrote: »
    I didn't realise the vaccine was different for people over 65. How odd.

It is this year
  • Skibunny40
    Options
    In Scotland, the flu jab is free for those 65+ but there's a different (better?!) vaccine for over 75's - I think normally all over 65's would get this one, but they didn't order enough / in time so are having to restrict its use.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I’m in Scotland and there are two different jabs available here - one protects against four strains of flu, and one three. My mum was only eligible for the three strains, but her husband who’s a few years older was eligible for four. Both are in their 70s. My mum paid at Boots. My work is offering the four strain jab to all staff. I had it yesterday and my arm is really, really sore today.

I just read the link provided above, and it seems to say that the more effective (enhanced) vaccine has 3 ingredients, the under 65s get 4 ingredients because there isn't an enhanced version of the 4th ingredient available. From this, it seems your Mum and you get 4, Dad gets 3. I can't really understand that - even a less enhanced 4th ingredient is better than none?
  • Saffythecat
    Options
    I got whatever was available at my work, which seems to be the same as what my mum’s husband got. My mum is eligible for a free jab as she’s over 65, but not the version I got, and her husband got. She opted to pay at Boots for what she understood would offer her more protection. Her husband is over 75.
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,706 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    LadyDee wrote: »
    I can't really understand that - even a less enhanced 4th ingredient is better than none?

As I understand the adjuvated jab has been introduced to be more effective for older people, as the immune system is less active as you get older. There is no adjuvated 4-strain (quadrivalent) jab available this year. Maybe next year.
    Both available where I live.
  • Missus_Hyde
    Options
    Lorian wrote: »
    As I understand the adjuvated jab has been introduced to be more effective for older people, as the immune system is less active as you get older. There is no adjuvated 4-strain (quadrivalent) jab available this year. Maybe next year.
    Both available where I live.

Hmm, that's interesting.

As I'm over 65, it would appear that the adjuvated jab would be more applicable to me, however unfortunately I suffer with an autoimmune disease, which causes my immune system to be over active, not under active, so the very last thing I require is something to "boost" my immune system ( I take immunosuppressants to prevent that happening.)

It would be worth me informing my doctors' surgery that I require the lesser one.
    A cunning plan, Baldrick? Whatever it was, it's got to be better than pretending to be mad; after all, who'd notice another mad person around here?.......Edmund Blackadder.
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,706 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hmm, that's interesting.

As I'm over 65, it would appear that the adjuvated jab would be more applicable to me, however unfortunately I suffer with an autoimmune disease, which causes my immune system to be over active, not under active, so the very last thing I require is something to "boost" my immune system ( I take immunosuppressants to prevent that happening.)

It would be worth me informing my doctors' surgery that I require the lesser one.

I don't know but I think it would be worth reminding them before you get the jab.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure