edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Health & Beauty MoneySaving
19 replies 2.1K views
2»

Replies

• pmdukpmduk Forumite
    10.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was always known that there'd be problems getting stock of Fluad (the vaccine for over 65s). 40% of the annual requirement is due for delivery in November, I suspect it's better to wait until then rather than have an inferior product?
  • pattycakepattycake Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I’ve now got my appointment through to have the flu jab. 10th November which is around 4 weeks later than in previous years.
  • carlislelasscarlislelass Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭
    Nick_C wrote: »
    I didn't realise the vaccine was different for people over 65. How odd.

It is this year
  • Skibunny40Skibunny40 Forumite
    319 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    In Scotland, the flu jab is free for those 65+ but there's a different (better?!) vaccine for over 75's - I think normally all over 65's would get this one, but they didn't order enough / in time so are having to restrict its use.
  • LadyDeeLadyDee Forumite
    4.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I’m in Scotland and there are two different jabs available here - one protects against four strains of flu, and one three. My mum was only eligible for the three strains, but her husband who’s a few years older was eligible for four. Both are in their 70s. My mum paid at Boots. My work is offering the four strain jab to all staff. I had it yesterday and my arm is really, really sore today.

I just read the link provided above, and it seems to say that the more effective (enhanced) vaccine has 3 ingredients, the under 65s get 4 ingredients because there isn't an enhanced version of the 4th ingredient available. From this, it seems your Mum and you get 4, Dad gets 3. I can't really understand that - even a less enhanced 4th ingredient is better than none?
  • I got whatever was available at my work, which seems to be the same as what my mum’s husband got. My mum is eligible for a free jab as she’s over 65, but not the version I got, and her husband got. She opted to pay at Boots for what she understood would offer her more protection. Her husband is over 75.
  • LorianLorian Forumite
    5.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    LadyDee wrote: »
    I can't really understand that - even a less enhanced 4th ingredient is better than none?

As I understand the adjuvated jab has been introduced to be more effective for older people, as the immune system is less active as you get older. There is no adjuvated 4-strain (quadrivalent) jab available this year. Maybe next year.
    Both available where I live.
  • Missus_HydeMissus_Hyde Forumite
    518 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Lorian wrote: »
    As I understand the adjuvated jab has been introduced to be more effective for older people, as the immune system is less active as you get older. There is no adjuvated 4-strain (quadrivalent) jab available this year. Maybe next year.
    Both available where I live.

Hmm, that's interesting.

As I'm over 65, it would appear that the adjuvated jab would be more applicable to me, however unfortunately I suffer with an autoimmune disease, which causes my immune system to be over active, not under active, so the very last thing I require is something to "boost" my immune system ( I take immunosuppressants to prevent that happening.)

It would be worth me informing my doctors' surgery that I require the lesser one.
    It's a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known........Sydney Carton.
  • LorianLorian Forumite
    5.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hmm, that's interesting.

As I'm over 65, it would appear that the adjuvated jab would be more applicable to me, however unfortunately I suffer with an autoimmune disease, which causes my immune system to be over active, not under active, so the very last thing I require is something to "boost" my immune system ( I take immunosuppressants to prevent that happening.)

It would be worth me informing my doctors' surgery that I require the lesser one.

I don't know but I think it would be worth reminding them before you get the jab.