PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 7 August 2018 at 11:10AM
    Options
    When you're reprimanded or banned it must leave a terrible taste in your mouth. I've had warnings/been reprimanded as others in threads have completely misconstrued my post ... it makes you want to spit.

Many don't bother coming back as they feel under-appreciated by the growing mobs of "I'm offended"... when, in fact, if they had two brain cells to rub together they'd realise what they read wasn't what was typed.

*sighs*.... Computer Says No.

It's especially hard "for one" as you've nobody there to hold your hand and say "there there, they are idiots.... you did nothing wrong" - just an empty hole in your tummy and the silence of your room.
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    Good morning everyone,
    Apologies for leading people astray:o
    <<Hugs>> Meg - even if it it's the right thing relationship break ups are never easy.
    Hopefully Kittie will be released sometime today.
    Dull but dry here and noticeably cooler. I'm changing my bed today and I think the duvet will be going back on. I've just been using the duvet cover and a light blanket but it wasn't quite enough last night. It's a summer weight duvet so hopefully I'll not swelter.
    My Dad's not long away clutching a piece of the allotment slice and a handful of runner beans. He does like it when I batch cook something as he tends to benefit:):).
    Lunch today will be a piece of the slice, salad and fruit. Tonight I'm having chicken & chorizo casserole from the freezer with rice and veg (probably mushrooms, peppers and runner beans).

NOOOOOOOO no need for apology your post actually had me giggling, I did put LOL before the comment it was meant in a jokey way. So sorry if its upset anyone.
    Slimming World at target
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sorry Meg I should have put a LOL in my post. I certainly wasn't offended! My apology was somewhat tongue in cheek x
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    Bizarrely, it's just started raining here. Didn't expect that, it was scorchio earlier. Hardly had any rain to speak of for two months - just a couple of fast showers one day and an overnighter.... it suddenly turned overcast and a bit blowy and down came the rain, which has nearly stopped already.

Handyman's gone - needs to return one more day (booked for next week)....

Sausage rolls for lunch :)
    I made/ate a cucumber sandwich and a tomato sandwich earlier.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,228 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Another scorcher, looking forward to PN rain getting here, forecast says there is some due

Into L's on way to volunteer job, no suitable YS bargains around today, just topped up odds & s0ds, forgot to get pickled beetroot though, not desperate, I'm on my second jar in about 5 years so I think I'll survive
    Lunch was PB baguette, with cheesey salad inside, with another of my figs warm from the tree.

Dinner, I really don't know, I've eaten all the B & A crumble, and CBA to make another in this heat
    I don't fancy yet another salad, plus I've not much to put with it, or not much I fancy putting with it. I can see me finishing up with cheese & eggs on toast at this rate, nothing wrong with that mind.
    This could be the time to keep an eye out for a small/cheap deep freezer online/2nd hand.... £20-30 or so ... so you can test it out to see if you genuinely do benefit from owning a 2nd one and buying meat online. You might find it's a chore to then eat it all... be careful what you wish for and all that.

If I got fed up with all that meat, just think how many "cornetto" & choc ices I could cram in:D:D
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • meg72
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    Another scorcher, looking forward to PN rain getting here, forecast says there is some due

Into L's on way to volunteer job, no suitable YS bargains around today, just topped up odds & s0ds, forgot to get pickled beetroot though, not desperate, I'm on my second jar in about 5 years so I think I'll survive
    Lunch was PB baguette, with cheesey salad inside, with another of my figs warm from the tree.

Dinner, I really don't know, I've eaten all the B & A crumble, and CBA to make another in this heat
    I don't fancy yet another salad, plus I've not much to put with it, or not much I fancy putting with it. I can see me finishing up with cheese & eggs on toast at this rate, nothing wrong with that mind.

If I got fed up with all that meat, just think how many "cornetto" & choc ices I could cram in:D:D[/QUOTE

Ohhhhhh yes, though never see these YS BUT usually loads of cream cakes in our Asda after 3pm on a Sunday.
    Slimming World at target
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    It's raining again...

Might do those final 2 sausage rolls... or might save those for tomorrow and have something like beans on toast tonight.
  • meg72
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    Sorry Meg I should have put a LOL in my post. I certainly wasn't offended! My apology was somewhat tongue in cheek x

Alls Good then.x

Just made a quick flit round the neighbours with a carrier bag full of beans. It seems after a stingy start my Beans have now gone into frantic mode, towering over the 8ft poles and going for England, or at least my little bit of it.

Had an interesting conversation with a rather snooty young man at a local food bank on enquiring if they accepted donations of fresh veg,

"Oh No Madam, health and safety rules are quite clear, donations o this sort are prohibited you may have contaminated them"

" Curious ,in what way might I have done that"

" Well malicious acts are not unheard of,, are they Madam? then of course you may have used a toxic weed killer or have a dog who does its business on them, even birds flying over can leave droppings that contaminate them.

" Well Young Man thank you for the best giggle this little old lady has enjoyed in many a day.

1. Whilst sadly malicious acts are not unheard of cant say I have ever heard of one that involved a little old lady and a bag full of beans.

2 If I had used a toxic weedkiller I wouldn't have any beans to be offering, would I?

3 I have yet to see the dog that could do its business up an 8ft pole and if I did I`d run a mile.

4 Do all the runner beans I see in the supermarkets come from bird free zones or do they all wear nappys?

Bless you Lad its a sad world when you have to have to justify these silly rules to refuse a bag of beans from a little old lady with this kind of BS, think it out for yourself and perhaps next time just
    say No thank you its not allowed.
    Slimming World at target
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 7 August 2018 at 7:07PM
    Options
    Meg - it may not be allowed at his foodbank - but it certainly is allowed at my nearest one. I specifically asked them - just in case I get overwhelmed with surplus of "summat or other" from the garden and they said words to the effect of they'll take anything they can get (including garden produce).

So - if you are visiting a nearby town/city at any point - it might be that their foodbank would accept it.

There is also a (non foodbank) point in the area where anyone can just drop off anything they want (including garden produce) and anyone else that wants to take it can do so.

EDIT; I've left surplus produce before now in a charity type shop with a note there, indicating reasonable price to buy it, and it's been bought and the cash gone to charity concerned.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good evening everyone,

Och that's a shame meg, I think some foodbanks struggle with fresh produce, both from a storage, turnaround point of view and also from insurance. Public liability insurance can be really restrictive at times about what it does and doesn't cover. I know (cos I sort it out for them) that the out of school care one is very narrow when it comes to potentially covering food contamination especially around donated fresh items so it might be that rather H&S IFYSWIM. (He does sound like a bit of jobsworth though).:(

When I first became CFO just over two years ago I did think I might use less freezer space when in fact they are as full as ever. I think if you enjoy cooking or making big batches of things or buying/shopping online or taking advantage of offers/RTC or grow F&V, a decent amount of freezer space comes into it's own so get those pennies saved Farway. I don't think you'll regret it. They are also a godsend if you are busy or the weather is foul or you're under the weather.

PN- did you put the final cornetto out it's misery? ;):)

It turned out quite nice this afternoon and as I'm thankfully feeling a bit less wonky I tamed a rampaging buddleia out the front that was making a bid for freedom and overhanging the pavement. I think every curious bee in the area was trying to help.:rotfl::rotfl:I also got some perennials potted on into their final pots but that was a nice sit down job.:D

Duvet is back on the bed, now there's a job I really struggle with these days. However, while I might grumble I'm mindful that just shy of two years ago I needed someone else to do this for me so I'm not complaining.:)

First balcony yellows are ripe:D but apart from those and a cucumber I didn't pick any more veg today though I'm sure more French beans are ready.I'll inspect those tomorrow. The first batch of broad beans that had finished and I have cut back have regrown quite a bit so if it stays mild I might get a small crop late October, I'll leave them to it and see what happens. Lots of tomatoes in the greenhouse are beginning to turn colour but still haven't spotted the awol Indogo Rose ones. I am really beginning to think it's been duff seeds.

Chicken & chorizo casserole with rice, mushrooms, peppers and runner beans for dinner tonight.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback