PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Letter agent membership scheme - Love your postcode

Options
Hi,

I'm due to view a rental property that's dealt with by Love Your Postcode in Birmingham. I've asked about the fees ahead of the viewing and they told me that I had to join their 'membership scheme' for a whopping £1,200 - £1,400. This is non-refundable. They said as part of my membership I'd get guaranteed repairs (which surely I would get anyway) and first choice of another property (which I would not want / need). Their website says they do not take deposits for properties and instead you seen to pay this non-refundable membership fee, although on the phone they told me there was a deposit payable.

It all sounds a bit of a con to me. Does anyone else have experience of these types of membership schemes?

Many thanks,

Simon

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Never heard of them but.......:eek:
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    That is a new low for letting agents.

I wonder if this membership model is a way of trying to circumvent legislation regarding letting agency fees that could be introduced in England.
  • swoody1362
    Options
    This is the blurb on their website:

LYP Club Membership

Love Your Postcode does not take custodial deposits for any of its properties. Instead it provides a premium membership contract for all working class applicants that are seeking great quality homes throughout the country. The membership allows for a family to have the first choice over any available property within the group and is transferable from property to property because it moves with you. It!!!8217;s a very unique concept founded by Mr Singh of WLYP in 2009 and currently has over 1000 live members across the UK. Tenants: welcome to a world where you can never lose a deposit, ever again. Our club membership has many benefits for both the landlords and tenants. Landlords: imagine hassle free property management and a world where you don!!!8217;t need to argue for your right to apply costs against a deposit. We have a no quibble policy to under write every transaction subject to the property being returned back to us on management. Approved by Trading Standards in 2011.

'Never lose a deposit again' but instead lose money for an entirely benefit free membership scheme seems to summarise it.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Pixie5740 wrote: »
    That is a new low for letting agents.

No need to tar all agents with a big brush, there are some very good ones who do look after their tenants. That's one example of a somewhat dodgy scheme by a what appears to be a less than savoury agent.
  • KittenChops
    KittenChops Posts: 328 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    swoody1362 wrote: »

LYP Club Membership

Love Your Postcode does not take custodial deposits for any of its properties. Instead it provides a premium membership contract for all working class applicants that are seeking great quality homes throughout the country. The membership allows for a family to have the first choice over any available property within the group and is transferable from property to property because it moves with you. It!!!8217;s a very unique concept founded by Mr Singh of WLYP in 2009 and currently has over 1000 live members across the UK. Tenants: welcome to a world where you can never lose a deposit, ever again. Our club membership has many benefits for both the landlords and tenants. Landlords: imagine hassle free property management and a world where you don!!!8217;t need to argue for your right to apply costs against a deposit. We have a no quibble policy to under write every transaction subject to the property being returned back to us on management. Approved by Trading Standards in 2011.

'Never lose a deposit again' but instead lose money for an entirely benefit free membership scheme seems to summarise it.

(my bolding)

Er... what??
  • Pixie5740
    Options
    swoody1362 wrote: »

LYP Club Membership

I can't find them on the Buy With Confidence website: https://www.buywithconfidence.gov.uk/

Maybe Trading Standards no longer approve of Love Your Postcode. ;)
  • mrginge
    mrginge Posts: 4,843 Forumite
    Options
    Are this the lot that fine you for not doing the washing up?
  • madvicker
    madvicker Posts: 157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 4 July 2018 at 12:49PM
    Options
    I don't know whether to; laugh, cry, or rage. That is genuinely the silliest and downright cheeky concept I have ever read about. And their list of possible fees on their website are ridiculous.

Holy s***!

I would run a mile, and find somewhere else. I would much rather pay £1400 to a deposit than some jumped up 'membership scheme' purporting to do the things a landlord is legally responsible for doing anyways. Not to mention all their other abstract charges....

Oh - and there is a guaranteed 5% annual increase in rent, + a £95 renewal charge.
  • Pixie5740
    Options
    Simonr66 wrote: »

No need to tar all agents with a big brush, there are some very good ones who do look after their tenants. That's one example of a somewhat dodgy scheme by a what appears to be a less than savoury agent.

"Their tenants." Do letting agents have their own tenants?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure