What amount do you think you could live on a day???

Options

Comments

• MellyB_2
    MellyB_2 Posts: 262 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've read that book (after it being recommended on here!) and thought it was quite an interesting read although I think I'd draw the line at hitchhiking to go away to France!
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    Elfen, have you filled in a HC1 form?
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • pink_numbers
    Options
    I read that book to inspire me when I feel tired of thrifty living. Makes you realise that I can do more to stop spending :)

I control my spending per week (rather than per day), I find this works best for me as a month is too long (spend all my money at start, no money by week 3), and a day is a bit too strict.
  • Nikkei
    Nikkei Posts: 102 Forumite
    Options
    Hey Guys

Sorry for being MIA until now, I went home and was baking a cake all night for a girl at work and didn't get chance to go online! It's good to hear so many others have read that book, I'm still only half way through and I'm really enjoying it. I love the idea (CAKE21) about using the money saved on gas/electric to topup and save, I'll add it to the rules list! (TIXY) thanks for the thoughts on all of the extras I'll need to take these into account. I'm sitting down this weekend with Ian to set this is motion! not many people have any ideas on figures to live on a day? Does anyone have a igure they think they could live on?
  • pink_numbers
    Options
    Having done both failed and successful challenges, I would say to keep the rules simple. You should be able to say your rule in one phrase, otherwise you will get bogged down on the detail.

So it's better to say "We will live on £10 a day for everything" than "We will live on £7 a day, but that's not counting a, b, c, d, e, f and g, with top up allowances".
  • eco
    eco Posts: 1,147 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    hiya,
    thought I'd add my bit, I'm trying something similar for Novemeber and December to get a bit of practice, then doing it properly next year starting in January. I live alone with 2 dogs and I was thinking £5 a day was good for me, and I'd draw the money out at the end of the month and have to make it last. I'm struggling this month but have realised I don't use money off vouchers enough and I've been out with friends and didn't really account for this, but figure with a bit of imagination I should be able to get to pay day just.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My one thought would be it's a shame some of you have mentally excluded certain 'fixed' costs - virtually nothing can't be cut back on. Water and energy bills can fairly easily be reduced, do you need a TV license or could you use BBC iPlayer for a couple of months, could you cycle or walk instead of drive, are you getting any discounts you might be entitled to on public transport .... I know you have probably already done a lot of this, but it's well worth revisiting every so often with an open mind (children think HOW, adults think BUT!). A useful thread would be Weezl74's 'Eat Healthily on 50p per day'.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • paybacktime2008
    Options
    I will be trying to live on benefit levels for 2010. Just had 3 months on income support, but luckily start new job next monday. If i had continued on benefits I would of had £137 a week to live on a week. That would be for everything except mortgage and council tax. This is for me and one child. I'll round it up to £20 a day which sounds a lot but once you've done gas/electric/insurance/petrol etc it isn't really that much. Challenge on!
    LBM 10/08 £12510.74/
  • grandma247
    grandma247 Posts: 2,412 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Fire_Fox wrote: »
    My one thought would be it's a shame some of you have mentally excluded certain 'fixed' costs - virtually nothing can't be cut back on. Water and energy bills can fairly easily be reduced, do you need a TV license or could you use BBC iPlayer for a couple of months, could you cycle or walk instead of drive, are you getting any discounts you might be entitled to on public transport .... I know you have probably already done a lot of this, but it's well worth revisiting every so often with an open mind (children think HOW, adults think BUT!). A useful thread would be Weezl74's 'Eat Healthily on 50p per day'.

As far as I know you can only reduce your water bill if you are on a meter. And from what I have read you must have a tv license even if you watch online. Also rent and mortgage are fixed costs.
    Energy bills can however be cut by winterizing your home and turning down the heat. Think about how you use electricity and gas.

Great thread by the way. Already doing the £4000 challenge. Managed to pay off a large loan and pay down the mortgage by several thousand. Dh has now agreed to keep living as we are next year so we can pay it off completely although we may leave a little on it as we were advised it may be beneficial to us If we need expensive repairs in a hurry.
  • tirlittan
    tirlittan Posts: 3,397 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I know someone's already mentioned the Live on £4000 a year challenge, but if you divide that by 365 days, it's £10.96 a day. I know it doesn't include everything, but you didn't want to include rent etc, which is bit like on that challenge.

How about try to work out how much you are spending now, and then try to reduce that, maybe see if you could do it with half that? Just an idea...

Good luck.
    DEBT FREE OCTOBER 2012!
    Proud to have dealt with my debts!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills