We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Great “Easy Lucrative Garden Crops” Hunt: What costly foods can you grow with ease?

Options

Comments

• mummyshaz
    Options
    We used to have an allotment but have now started growing in the garden instead and on windowsills or anywhere else we can find. We get our seeds in a pack of 3 from the pound shop we are certainly not professional gardeners but so far we have grown

Peas
    Runner beans
    grapes
    ribes
    broad beans
    courgettes
    tomatoes 4 different varieties
    leeks
    onions
    potatoes
    goji berries
    gooseberries
    blackcurrants
    red currants
    strawberries
    cabbages
    lettuces

Well just about everything going and it all seems to be working. The easiest things you can grow are potatoes and onions and garlic. If you get very small ones you can grow them from the ones you buy from the shops for tea. You can grow them in pots or outside. We are trying at the moment to grow aubergines because where we live they are 97p for one and im a veggie so we use quite a few. We do have little shoots of aubergines so ill have to let you know if they end up surviving. My massive tip is if something doesnt seem to be growing just bear with it we have planted things in Feb and they have only just started shooting now so dont give up. Sorry for the long post:money:
  • nottsphil
    nottsphil Posts: 440 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    A._Badger wrote: »
    Raspberries, without a doubt!

If you plant a row of Autumn fruiting raspberries, you will get, for almost no effort, save cutting them to the ground in the winter and applying a handful of fertiliser, a big crop of a very expensive fruit, for next to no trouble and at little expense.
    But don't the canes take 4 years to fruit?
  • tenuissent
    tenuissent Posts: 342 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Raspberry canes do not take 4 years to fruit - but you do get more fruit as the years pass by. Asparagus takes 2 or 3 years, but my rows are fantastically productive now. I agree that fruit is the easiest and most money saving crop. But in mid-April I have been able to supply six of us on self-catering holiday with more than they could eat of purple sprouting broccoli, spinach beet, real spinach, several sorts of tender kale, parsley, rocket, pak choi, many herbs, garlic, costing nothing but some hard work, seed packets and last minute picking. All this would have cost a lot from shops - and the season has barely started.
  • Ginni_B
    Options
    I saw a great idea in an RHS book where you attach some green wire trellis to a fence in your garden and wire pots up and down it with herbs and any trailing veg like tumbling toms and hestia dwarf runner beans, like a vertical garden.
  • brownfrog
    brownfrog Posts: 189 Forumite
    Options
    KittyCat wrote: »
    , try Swiss Chard either Ruby or High lights - grow from seed and this crops for a full year or longer..

Bit OT here, but how do you use this? I grew it last year as it was suggested as a substitute for spinach, and I found it realy quite horrid - really strong and sort of earthy-tasting. Is there a point beyond which it's too much and should just end up in the compost bin?
  • brownfrog
    Options
    RAS wrote: »
    Any soft fruit trained as cordons take up minimal space - red currants, white currants or gooseberries work. A tiny punnet of redcurrants costs £2 and the plant requires a little pruning every year and a bit of muck every few years. Get cuttings from a friend and the plants are free..

If you don't have a handy friend, Poundland and other pound shops usually sell these. You'll probably need to grow them on for a year or two before they start producing fruit, but I usually buy a couple every year so I can grow them on for replacements. Even thoug fruit bushes usually have a lifespan of 10 years or so, their fruiting life span is only around 5 years, so hopefully as the older ones start trailing off their production, the newer ones will be grown on enough to take over.
  • brownfrog
    Options
    sonas_baby wrote: »
    If you don't have a lot of time for watering mix in some moisture retaining gel with your compost.

Money-saving alternative: if you use 'scrubby sponges' in your kitchen, then once the scrubby bit has worn away, don't just chuck them in the bin - store them somewhere until you're ready to plant up. Put a layer of them at the bottom of the pot, over the crocks/polystyrene you're using for drainage. They hold on to masses of water, and you're not adding to landfill. I've also heard of them being used to root cuttings, but I've never tried this myself.
  • brownfrog
    Options
    RAS wrote: »
    At the moment, check out Lidl - 29p to 49p per packet, Netto may still have some which started at 19p but were small packets and a limited range. Poundland or Pound something were doing some decent £1 packs with 6 different lots of seeds - basic veg, spicy selection etc.

I think that was Poundland - I bought a packet last week. Included mixed spicy salad leaves and chillis. Poundstretcher and the 99p stores are also quite good.

If you're down south, try In-Xcess - they have a huge range of seeds for 40-50p. And try your local farm shop if you have any nearby - they often sell locally produced seed. Also check out if you've got a local horticultural society - they may do seed swaps. If you want to buy plants, car boot sales are fantastic.
  • brownfrog
    Options
    Muffin99 wrote: »
    My favourite is lemon balm which is really easy to grow and will come up every year so it's cheap too and you can get loads of delicious lemon-scented leaves which are also great to add to your salad bowl. Lemon balm is said to strengthen the brain and prolong life too! Infact Llewelyn,Prince of Glamorgan regularly drank lemon balm tea and lived to be 108! Also John Hussey, of Sydenham, drank lemon balm tea with a little honey to sweeten it and lived to the age of 116! But whatever - it's delicious!

Thanks for this - I got a huge clump of lemon balm from Freecycle and was wondering what it could be used for.

Re Freecycle - it's a great source of free plants, but maybe it would work as a (sort of) seed swap too? If everyone started giving away their spare seeds, then they'd probably spot some they wanted )and I guess you could send two emails close together - one asking for seeds and one offering them. Might even be worth sending an email to the local group to see if they could start up an official one.
  • auntypog
    auntypog Posts: 241 Forumite
    edited 22 April 2009 at 10:44AM
    Options
    nottsphil wrote: »
    But don't the canes take 4 years to fruit?

I bought a raspberry plant from Poundland the year before last (it just looked like a stick) and got loads of lovely fruit the following summer. I did nothing to it.

My husband sometimes buys green potatoes (he's colourblind) by accident. I planted one last year in a flower bed and got a nice crop of sweet new potatoes with a great flavour in the autumn.
    Never mash cheese: it bends the fork.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport