Car insurance - Insuring a 2nd car

Options
Hi.

I am about to buy a 2nd car. When insuring this, can i use my NCB that I have built up? Or can you only use NCB on one vehicle at a time?

Thanks.

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Only one policy.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• o202
    o202 Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Some insurers will allow you to mirror your NCB on a second vehicle. Worth a phone call to your existing insurer to ask
  • Begsey
    Begsey Posts: 129 Forumite
    Options
    Ask your current insurer as suggested, failing that, Adrian Flux have mirrored mines in the past (other insurers will too)
  • trailingspouse
    Options
    Generally the rule is that NCD is built up on the car, so with a second car you have to start from scratch. However, many insurers will give you an introductory bonus on a 2nd car (usually the equivalent of 2 years' NCD) - try your current insurer first.

If the second car is for your spouse, it makes sense for them to start building up NCD in their own name. If they have been driving claim free on your insurance, again many insurers will allow an introductory bonus, and again it makes sense to try your current insurer first.

And finally, if the 2nd car is a classic (over 25 years old I think?) then it seems to be common practice to allow a full bonus equivalent to what you have on your 1st car. We use Footman James, and that was certainly the case with them.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure