County court business centre

Options
In 2010 I instructed a company called claims advisory group to claim my PPI back from previous loans credit cards when was the bank that I still bank with and they advised me that they could not deal with third parties and if I wanted to claim my money back I need to contact them myself which I did in writing and they gave me a refund of my PPI. Fast forward to 2018 I have received a claim form from County Court Business Centre stating that I owe the claimant £713 the Debt has now been sold on to a new company and they are threatening to put a CCJ in my name how do I go about fighting this as I owe nobody nothing.
As this was over 8 years ago and I've not even paid anything back to this does this even stand as a debt.
All advice is greatly appreciated thank you

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Refer to the Legal Ombudsman for advice and assistance.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cag1980 wrote: »
    In 2010 I instructed a company called claims advisory group to claim my PPI back from previous loans credit cards when was the bank that I still bank with and they advised me that they could not deal with third parties and if I wanted to claim my money back I need to contact them myself which I did in writing and they gave me a refund of my PPI. Fast forward to 2018 I have received a claim form from County Court Business Centre stating that I owe the claimant £713 the Debt has now been sold on to a new company and they are threatening to put a CCJ in my name how do I go about fighting this as I owe nobody nothing.
    As this was over 8 years ago and I've not even paid anything back to this does this even stand as a debt.
    All advice is greatly appreciated thank you

If there is a genuine debt the firm has 6 years to apply for a CCJ which is then active for much longer (they can apply after 6 years but it's much harder as the debt is effectively statute barred).

As you have received the judgement you need to respond and fight it or yes you will end up with a CCJ which will kill your credit rating for 6 more years and could be enforced against you
  • Aquamania
    Aquamania Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    edited 15 December 2018 at 3:59PM
    Options
    Refer to the Legal Ombudsman for advice and assistance.

The role of the legal ombudsman is to look at complaints about service providers ( as long as the service provider is regulated) in a fair and independent way; they will not take sides and are unable to provide legal advice.

In particular, the legal ombudsman service CANNOT:
    • investigate a complaint if you haven’t already complained to your service provider
    • provide legal advice or represent you in legal proceedings
    • investigate a complaint that is already being looked at eg. by the courts

OP - as you have received a claim for from the County Court Business Centre, it will inform you how to offer up a defence if that is what you wish to do.

You may wish to seek independent legal advice first, but the cost of this are not usually recoverable, even if you were able to go on and successfully defend the claim.

The CAB can sometimes assist with offering you a free or low cost preliminary interview with a local solicitor, if required. :)

But you often don't need any legal advice, nor need any legal representation in court - the county court is designed for those involved to act 'in person'.

Simply state in simple terms your defence why you do not consider you owe the claimant the money sought , and the judge will eventually decide based on the law (usually after a hearing, which in this case will usually be at your local county court unless you elect otherwise, which you should attend if requested to); you will not be expected to, nor need to know, the law.

Edit: I see from the OP's other previous post, the amount claimed to be owed 3 years ago stood at just £583, and the OP responded then that "as they did not claim my money back for me I would not pay them."

The appropriate online claim fee is £60 that would have been added to the amount claimed, but that only brings the amount said to be owed to £643, so what is the basis of the additional £70 now claimed?

If it is unclear, you can put in a partial defence.e.g. accept that you owe say the £643 (if you decide to do so) but dispute the extra £70 if that is not accounted for in the claim.
    Again, the forms you received should explain how to do this.

Be aware, the claimant may face additional court costs as the claim progesses further, and this will usually be automatically added to the total amount claimed
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Aquamania wrote: »
    The role of the legal ombudsman is to look at complaints about service providers ( as long as the service provider is regulated) in a fair and independent way; they will not take sides and are unable to provide legal advice.
    I suggested they seek advice and assistance about making a complaint to the firm, as they obviously dispute any money was owed.
    I wasn't suggesting they would receive legal advice..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure