Default removal confusion.

Options
Hello everyone,

I have recently been speaking to a financial advisor about buying my first property, I'm self-employed so was worried I'd really struggle but my IFA thinks that my books look good and I should be able to get a mortgage based on them. Good news!

I've had clearscore for a while and whilst I know the score itself is relatively useless, it showed as me having no defaults or CCJ's etc, wonderful.

However I then got a call from Lowell Group to tell me I owe them £100 odd pounds for an old BT account, very odd as I don't remember owing them any money and I haven't had any paper correspondence from Lowell or BT on the matter.

I speak to my Dad and he has a letter from October 2018 from Lowell's saying they have bought the debt, this sent to his address which I have nothing registered at and he has only lived at for a few months.

I tell Lowells that I want to speak to BT as I don't want to pay if I don't owe it, but that also I don't want a default on my account when I'm trying to get a mortgage, the call handler informs me a default has already been applied,

I signed up with Equifax and I have a default on my account from BT and then moved to the Lowell group from February 2017! Absolutely gutted as we have had to pull out of the potential house purchase, my credit file is otherwise perfect.

I've been through the Equifax process to find out from BT what the debt was for and they couldn't tell me. I then emailed the BT CEO and was given an executive complaints handler, they have shown me a final month bill before I cancelled my account and it shows I owed some money, however I have never seen this bill and called BT when cancelling the contract and was told I didn't owe them any money.

I'm arguing with BT that they shouldn't have sold my details to a DCA and also I wasn't informed of the default by either BT or Lowells, also that the default was applied without me being more than 3 months in arrears and that it was added more than a year after the supposed debt.

BT are saying that because the debt is more than 200 days old they can't recall it and basically I have to go through Lowells.

I have since been in touch with Lowells and they are saying because BT applied the original default that only they can remove it and I would have to issue BT an SAR to get the default notice etc.

So my first question I guess is how to respond to this, is it true that only BT can remove the default?

I totally understand that your CRF should be an accurate representation of your credit handling history but I genuinely wasn't informed of the debt until more than a year after the default was applied, which itself was more than a year after the supposed debt.

Cheers.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    They're allowed to sell the debt, so no issue there.

If the default was applied more than a year later, then you were far more than 3 months in arrears.

BT are the only ones who can remove it (apart from the CRAs) so you will need to put your complaint into them.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    They would have sent the debt to the last known address for you.

Did you move when you cancelled the BT contract?
  • welly_59
    welly_59 Posts: 315 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    One default isn't going to stop you getting a mortgage
  • ParkerManc
    Options
    I did not, they have informed me that as I had paperless billing it went to by BT email which I believed I no longer had access to on cancellation of my account.

The other issue with getting a mortgage is that I'm self employed with only one year of books so we had limited options already, with a default it now makes it nigh on impossible it seems.
  • welly_59
    welly_59 Posts: 315 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Your only option is to complain and escalate to the ombudsman if you think it's unfair.

You might find they remove it as a goodwill gesture. It's just a possibility, but I've had 2 defaults removed by following that track
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You retain access to your BT email for a period after the account is closed.

Did you just go with the assumption it would close rather than checking?
  • Farmer_Johnson
    Options
    It doesn’t sound as though they have done anything wrong.

My advice would be to settle the debt as soon as possible, be more careful in future, and take on a good broker who will be likely to place you with a lender for whom one smallish default is not viewed as too much of an issue.

Good luck.
  • ParkerManc
    Options
    Thanks for the replies folks. I'm currently trying to get my original contract and also a help line call I made to them after my cancellation to check I no longer owed them money, I was told I didn't. BT are telling me they only have to keep this information for 2 years, is this true?

Cheers.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    They can only keep it for as long as it is required for the original purpose.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    When you leave there will either be a final bill or a credit depending on what you are due
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure