Cancelling before end of the year and no claims bonus

Options
Hi there. I am a new driver and have 3 weeks to go until I get my first year's no claims bonus. I paid upfront for the whole year.

Problem is my car is broken and I can't afford a new one. Mot expires in a few days too.

If I cancel my insurance do I lose the year's ncb?
I could just keep the car for 3 weeks but without an mot I can't park it on the road.

Any advice massively appreciated

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    You only get NCD if you hold a policy for a complete year.

One years NCD is worth having ( do dummy quotes online with nil NCD and one years NCD to see if it will be cost effective to keep your policy till the end of the year)

If worth it then consider keeping the policy running
  • Misterph
    Options
    Thanks Quentin for that.
    Happy to do that but I just have the problem of 3 weeks without an mot. Not planning on driving it but it's not allowed parked on the road and if I scrap it I'm worried about invalidating insurance. Likewise doing a SORN.

Also, I need to cancel my auto renewal but will my expired mot be an issue when I call the insurers to do this do you know?

Thank you
  • Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 5,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The lack of an MOT won't affect your insurance.

You're correct that technically it's an offence to keep a car with no MOT on the road, but it's a minor offence (small fine and no points) and not one that is routinely enforced. Personally I would probably take the risk of it was only for a few days. If you don't fancy that, is the car driveable and do you have a friend with a driveway where you could keep it for a few days? In fact MOT is one of those requirements which only applies on a road, not a "road or other public place", so it would be legal to keep it in any car park, even a public one.

A third option is simply to scrap it and leave the policy running. There is a risk attached to this that once you've disposed of it, if someone else drives it and doesn't insure it, your own insurer can end up on the hook for any accident they cause, and could then come back to you demanding that you pay the bill because you breached the terms of the policy by not telling them when you sold the car. However if the car is undriveable and obviously fit only for the scrap heap this is probably quite a low risk.
  • Misterph
    Options
    Great. Thanks so much! Will call to cancel my auto renewal today. And park it for 3 weeks. Just hope they don't pick up on the mot expiry. Really want this ncd! ��
  • Rainbowgirl84
    Options
    It doesn't need to be MOT'd to park it on the road.
  • Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 5,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It doesn't need to be MOT'd to park it on the road.
    Oh yes it does. (Well, it is panto season) Pumbien v Vines (1995), and earlier case law.

http://www.rjerrard.co.uk/law/cases/pumb.htm

As I say you would have to be rather unlucky to get done for it especially if it's only the for a few days. However strictly speaking keeping a car parked on a public road with no MOT is the same piece as actually driving it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure