PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Lack of sound insulation in block of flats

Options
Hi there
I've purchased a property on a ground floor block of flats and to say that it could do with some soundproofing is an understatement!
However, the issue i'd like to ask for help with is the following..

Everytime the tenants in the flat above me go to urinate/use the toilet, I can hear them very loud and clear in my flat. What is causing this and is this a problem which can be resolved? I read somewhere that it could be that the SVP pipe needs insulating, but when i'm in my bedroom/in the toilet, it sounds like they're in the room urinating on top of me! It's so loud!
For now, i've tried the following:

1.Soundproofing the ceiling in the toilet with rockwool, 2x15mm plasterboard & a sheet of tecsound.
2. rockwool around the SVP pipe...which has made no difference...do i need to do anything specific here?

Is there anything else I can try/do to stop the sound of people urinating above me?! How is this sound travelling? Any advice/information would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Comments

• Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 5 June 2017 at 10:29AM
    Options
    An insulated floating ceiling may help. The toilet will be fixed directly to the floor so the sound will travel directly through the floor/ceiling structure. A floating ceiling is separate from the current floor/ceiling so should hopefully reduce the noise.

Asking them to whizz on the side of the pan would be cheaper.

If you try this please update your post with the results.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Asking them to whizz on the side of the pan would be cheaper

:rotfl:

As Norman Castle says, if the toilet is fixed directly onto the floor and the floor/joist/ceiling construction is the typical wood and plaster then the whole floor/ceiling will be acting like a loudspeaker magnifying the tiniest noise. If you've ever stood in a shed with a tin roof in the rain you'll understand the concept.

A floating ceiling may help a bit, but it would only be similar to placing a piece of cloth over the front of a loudspeaker. The only way to really cure the problem is to break the solid path that allows the sound of urination in the toilet to be transmitted to the floor/joist/ceiling construction. This would mean getting the upstairs neighbour to install a floating floor with a layer of insulation underneath.

Unfortunately unless the neighbour is easily embarrassed, the most you are likely to get them to do is to add a 'Please urinate quietly' sign near their toilet.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • westv
    westv Posts: 6,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Is someone taking the p*ss here?

:D
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    urv123 wrote: »
    For now, i've tried the following:

1.Soundproofing the ceiling in the toilet with rockwool, 2x15mm plasterboard & a sheet of tecsound.
    Did this make any difference with regard to airborne sound such as talking?
  • urv123
    urv123 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    An insulated floating ceiling may help. The toilet will be fixed directly to the floor so the sound will travel directly through the floor/ceiling structure. A floating ceiling is separate from the current floor/ceiling so should hopefully reduce the noise.

Asking them to whizz on the side of the pan would be cheaper.

If you try this please update your post with the results.

I tried this and no improvement :(
  • urv123
    urv123 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Did this make any difference with regard to airborne sound such as talking?

It's definitely made a difference regarding airbourne noise, but not impact noise.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure