PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Rented 1 bed flat - how many smoke detectors

Options
Hi I've recently purchased a one bed flat in a block of 10 and am about to prepare this for letting. Can anyone tell me how many smoke detectors and/or carbon monoxide alarms I am supposed to have? The property has no gas and consists of kitchen, living room, bathroom, hall and one bedroom. I've tried looking up online and will phone some electricians tomorrow but I'm working abroad at present and it's not very clear the exact legal requirements! Property is in scotland if this makes a difference. Thank you in advance!
£2 savers club 2021 - £0
Terramundi 2021 - £0
Vouchers/cashback - £0
🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪
Overpay Mortgage - £0/£18,500
Repay Family Loan - £0/£10,000

Comments

• anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,282 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    One smoke per floor. So one, unless the rooms you have described are on multiple levels.

CO not required unless there is an active fireplace / solid fuel burner which you have not mentioned.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    anselld wrote: »
    One smoke per floor. So one, unless the rooms you have described are on multiple levels.

CO not required unless there is an active fireplace / solid fuel burner which you have not mentioned.

Not what is recommended (from link within Shelter Scotland - already given)

The revised Domestic Technical Handbook guidance states there should be at least:
    one functioning smoke alarm in the 1 room which is frequently used by the occupants for general daytime living purposes
    one functioning smoke alarm in every circulation space, such as hallways and landings
    one heat alarm in every kitchen, and
    all alarms should be interlinked.
  • tlc678910
    tlc678910 Posts: 982 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Carbon monoxide alarms are not a legal requirement except for solid fuel appliances (as stated by anselld) but why not get them anyway for next to your boiler and gas appliances when there is the possibility you could save a life for £20?
    EDIT Sorry no gas appliances - no gas - then you won't need carbon monoxide detectors
  • avacapri
    avacapri Posts: 55 Forumite
    Options
    The law is a bit outdated on this one, as its a small flat just make sure you have them in the kitchen, lounge and bedroom, and some detectors are combination alarms, if it were me I would max out on alarms, also check the communal spaces, stairwell so you know the Fire safety arrangements.
  • haggis4
    haggis4 Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I lost this post and had no idea how to find it so I've trawled through the pages!!!!!
    £2 savers club 2021 - £0
    Terramundi 2021 - £0
    Vouchers/cashback - £0
    🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪
    Overpay Mortgage - £0/£18,500
    Repay Family Loan - £0/£10,000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income