Time Retail Store Card / Santander

Options
I used to have a store card called Time Retail which was taken out when i purchased items from COMET. I know that i had PPI on the account as i remember the statements which stated insurance at 1p per £1.
The problem is i have destroyed the old statements as they were from around the year 2000 and i have moved a number of times since. Santander administer the claims for this store card but they cannot find any details of my account. I have contacted the ombudsman but they are unable to help as Santander have checked their databases and are unable to locate my account. Can any help me as to how i can claim the PPI charges that i have incurred.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    You'll have to accept that no one has any records.
  • peterc2609
    Options
    This has happened to me too!

My account ended up with a debt collection agency, but I cant remember what its called?! Maybe that would be a good starting point.

Its a bit suspicious that they just tell people that they cant find anything!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    peterc2609 wrote: »

Its a bit suspicious that they just tell people that they cant find anything!
    It's really not that suspicious when you consider that Data Protection requires firms to destroy such records when no longer required. If this was from more than six years ago, you'll just have to accept that any complaint is a non-starter unless you can produce comprehensive documentation from your own archive.
    My account ended up with a debt collection agency, but I cant remember what its called?! Maybe that would be a good starting point.
    This suggests that you defaulted on the debt and still technically owe them money. If this is the case, any PPI redress you might win would be offset against monies (interest etc) unpaid and written off.
  • piplongsox
    Options
    I've been told the same thing from Santander, but I can't understand why other companies have the records from around the same time. I had 6 complaints with them from Dixons, Arcadia, alliance & leicester, GE money. I have a credit report that gives the last 4 digits of each account, together with all my personal details, still nothing.... my last chance is to check my loft and see if I have original documents! Don't hold out much hope there...

My other question is, how do we know they are telling the truth when they say they can't find details of your old accounts....
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 30 November 2017 at 11:55PM
    Options
    piplongsox wrote: »
    I've been told the same thing from Santander, but I can't understand why other companies have the records from around the same time.
    Every firm is different in the manner in which they deal with such records.
    piplongsox wrote: »
    My other question is, how do we know they are telling the truth when they say they can't find details of your old accounts....
    You can pay £10 for a Subject Access Request (SAR) which legally requires then to provide all records they have on file for you. Probably £10 wasted, but at least you'll know for certain that they are not lying to you.
  • peterc2609
    Options
    It was swiftly paid off with the debt collection agency.

I've moved twice since then so no chance that I'll have documents that are 15+ years old :-(
  • [Deleted User]
    Options

I've moved twice since then so no chance that I'll have documents that are 15+ years old :-(

Hmm. A bit suspicious...

:)
  • peterc2609
    Options
    Ha Ha! I did think that when I wrote it... Pot Kettle Black ha
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts