Who's getting one?

FYI, Release date: 3rd March 2017
Student loan: Cleared.

Comments

• DomRavioli
    DomRavioli Posts: 3,136 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Not many people. I've been die hard nintendo since pretty much the beginning, but this just isn't worth it for me. Lack of confirmed launch titles, 900p docked, and $90 for another dock, it is just far too overpriced. I will wait for it to come down in price.
  • zippygeorgeandben
    Options
    Surely the Wii U proved they have lost their touch.
    They should just make great games, like SEGA.
    Savings as of April 2023 Savings account - £26460.50(14474.88)Current account - £2140.24(4576.79)Total - £28600.74(19051.67) £1010 (£65pm CS/BS) £250 CS/BS/JS
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    DomRavioli wrote: »
    Not many people. I've been die hard nintendo since pretty much the beginning, but this just isn't worth it for me. Lack of confirmed launch titles, 900p docked, and $90 for another dock, it is just far too overpriced. I will wait for it to come down in price.

Amazon have sold out of their pre-order allocation...
  • motorguy
    Options
    We're interested in one. We've had a lot of value from Nintendo stuff in the past, so this may well be enough to rekindle our interest in them. Will be reading up in the next week or two....

Currently have two XBox One S's, a Nintendo Wii and we both play games via an iPad, Android tablet and PC

The portability aspect will be of great interest to me. I am away monday -> friday and i currently keep a XBox One S and USB powered GAEMS portable monitor for use when i'm away
  • Crazy_Jamie
    Crazy_Jamie Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Certainly in terms of marketing, but the console itself is excellent and has a strong library of games.

I expect I'll be getting a Switch eventually, but probably not at launch. There is the issue with the lack of confirmed launch titles, but it's more a time thing really in that I don't spend a lot of time playing games nowadays. It's difficult to justify getting a console at launch when I know I'm probably not going to get a great deal of use out of it.
    "MIND IF I USE YOUR PHONE? IF WORD GETS OUT THAT
    I'M MISSING FIVE HUNDRED GIRLS WILL KILL THEMSELVES."
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    why pay for retro when you can download roms. For that price you could get a decent graphics card or a PS4
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • DomRavioli
    DomRavioli Posts: 3,136 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »
    Amazon have sold out of their pre-order allocation...

Your point? They have alienated their core customers. And I'm guessing most of those who preordered will be scalpers, just like the NES mini.
  • phoenix_w
    phoenix_w Posts: 418 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

Sadly most people think that without having played on one. I own more great Wii U games than I have time, all of them with absurd amounts of longevity and playability. Lots of people moan about it being "underpowered" but, to my eyes, I can't think of one game I own that doesn't shine. In my eyes, the Wii U is in the league of the Dreamcast and Gamecube - absolutely brilliant hardware with outstanding games which those who owned loved, yet carelessly dismissed by others.

I'm really excited about Switch and have it pre-ordered for pick up at Smyths toys - they also have Zelda a tenner cheaper than everywhere else, which I've also ordered to pick up on the day, and 1-2 Switch pre-ordered from Argos which is a fiver cheaper than everywhere else. For me the Switch is perfect for where I am in life - I seldom get chance to use my consoles on the main telly whilst the family watches kids tv or Emmerdale Streetenders, so the idea I can keep on playing really floats my boat. This is one of the reasons I love the Wii U (and get frustrated when I get a game which you can't play solely on the gamepad - I could have been a Smash Bros World Champion by now... :()

My biggest worry is that I can't take across my Virtual Console purchases. It was a PITA to "transfer" them from the Wii originally, then they wanted more money to "upgrade" the ones available on Wii U VC so I could play them without going into Wii mode and getting a wii remote out every time I wanted to play something. I will simply not bother to purchase any further VC titles if I can't transfer them from Wii U.

My other worry is that they really need to sort out the price of a second joypad. You could buy a 4 bed detached house in the South East for the amount of dosh it'll cost to play 8 player bomberman...
  • motorguy
    Options
    DomRavioli wrote: »
    Your point? They have alienated their core customers. And I'm guessing most of those who preordered will be scalpers, just like the NES mini.

My point being that it would appear that more than "not many" are buying one.

I cant see there being too many scalpers trying to make money on what is - in your view - an already overpriced console?

Your view seems confused - on one hand you've said not many people will buy them, and now you're saying the market is strong enough for them to possibly sell at above list price?

My wife and i would be long term Nintendo advocates - i had most iterations right back as far as the original Game Boy the Christmas it came out - and i dont feel alienated by this. In fact its on our radar to get one.
  • donnajunkie
    donnajunkie Posts: 32,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    There is a good feature about it including its games on the metro gaming page.
    Personally whatever the console I always wait to see if it takes off. Having said that I am unlikely to get one even if it does take off. This is just because I am happy with what I have now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure