Washable nappies

Options
I've read a few reusable nappy threads on the forum but still have a few queries I am hoping you will be able to help me with.

Can you please let me know which brands/types worked for you?
Are branded nappies always better than non branded?
Is it worth buying pre-loved? I'm assuming they would be stained which is off-putting.
How many nappies would I need?

And last but not least: will it be manageable without a tumble dryer? Currently one drying rack lives permanently in the kitchen, we may need a separate one for the nappies and it would need to go in one of the bedrooms or the living room.

Comments

• flea72
    flea72 Posts: 5,392 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Long while since ive used them, but if you dont have a tumble then the thinner the nappy, the better, as they dry quicker. However, tumbling makes them feel softer (nothing as scratchy as an indoor dried towel).

Nothing wrong with second hand. Stains can be bleached out, by hanging in sun, and nappies absorbency increases with use, so buying preloved means they have already been broken in, so to speak.

As for quantity it depends on how often you want to wash them. The number of nappies a child goes through varies depending on age/diet. But you will usually got through 2-3 more a day than you would disposables.
  • kirtsypoos
    kirtsypoos Posts: 3,824 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Options
    We use close pop in 2 part nappies during the day and bamboozles with a close wrap for night time. The actual nappies shouldn't be tumble dried anyway, only the inserts and we don't bother - they all just go on the line or on radiators. We have also tried Miosolos, Grovia AIO and baba and boo. Close work the best for us, but different strokes for different folks!

I have a mix of pre-loved and new. If you are buying pre-loved, just ask about the PUL and google the tea towel PUL test. The nappies are useless if the PUL has gone as you will just get leaks.

My little boy is 19 months and we have approx 20, which means I can wash every 2/3 days, sometimes more. We only started cloth nappying at 12 months so very late to the party but I was finding it increasingly upsetting to throw yet another nappy to landfill.

There are some great preloved cloth nappy facebook sites, always worth keeping an eye on.
    :j PAID VERY, Barclaycard x3, Vanquis, Natwest, O/D, Tesco & MBNA x2 PAID :j LBM 24/07/15 - Original Debt: £0/31010.23 (100% paid) :eek:
    Mortgage - £151.316.54 :eek:
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We used lots of different brands. One of the advantages of cloth nappies is the variety available so you can use different nappies for different occasions.

Try a local nappy library, or a postal loan service if there isn't one, to get your hands on some to play with before you buy any.

Branded nappies aren't always better, but you often get what you pay for. If you get 'ebay cheapies' you are most likely getting knock-offs of branded nappies with not much attention to detail (so there may be annoying little things wrong) and very little customer service if you have questions or problems.

Once a nappy has been worn once, it's preloved. Baby poo is baby poo (once you've changed a few nappies, you really won't care) so yes, go for preloved if you want to save some money.

If you have no tumble dryer, you might want to look for nappies that fold out into different layers. Flat nappies like terry nappies are one option, but nappies that come sewn into 'nappy shapes' often have bits that fold out to speed up the drying - you want that as they're designed to hold onto a lot of liquid. Your nappy library can show you the different types.

We used those 'octopus' washing airers for nappies. They're great for hooking over door frames, study window handles above a radiator, on the stairs to catch heat rising etc and don't take up much space.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/pressa-hanging-dryer-16-clothes-pegs-turquoise-10421217/
  • Rambosmum
    Rambosmum Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ]Can you please let me know which brands/types worked for you? For newborns/ up to 9 ish months, I've found bambino mio inners (miosoft nappy) and little lambs shaped inners (bamboo) with a separate wrap best. I like a range of wraps as different ones fit slightly differently so some that fit just before a growth spurt (chunky thighs) don't fit as well after the growth spurt when the things aren't as chunky. from 9/12 months I like miosolo all in ones and pocket nappies.
    Are branded nappies always better than non branded? no. some branded wraps last a bit longer, but not necessarily.
    Is it worth buying pre-loved? I'm assuming they would be stained which is off-putting. definitely buy pre loved. All of mine are second hand. Non are stained. Hanging in the sun gets rid of all the stains. Buy a few different brands/ types to try.
    How many nappies would I need? we use 15 over 2-3 days plus additional night time nappies. We wash every 2-3 days.
    B]Is it manageable without a dryer?[/B] they shouldn't be tumbled dryer, so yes!
  • abiniamh
    Options
    I've had the bambino mio nappies for over 3 years now and honestly they're the only ones that really work for me.... so easy to use and wash and so so soft to touch!

I never tumble dry them just to be safe but they dry pretty quickly anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure