MSE News: First Direct's top for service again — what's the secret?

Options

Comments

• WelshRarebit
    Options
    Great service...shame about the new website...anyone seen the backlash going on in the First Direct Lab feedback area?
  • Mandelbrot
    Mandelbrot Posts: 9,139 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    edited 23 February 2012 at 2:51AM
    Options
    Great service...shame about the new website...anyone seen the backlash going on in the First Direct Lab feedback area?

General view seems to be "If it ain't broke ..." ;)
    Interesting to refer back to some comment by Mark Mullen in the interview I posted earlier - about how the bank should always stay focussed on it's core purpose - being a bank that gives good service & listens to its customers.
    We'll see ...
  • fannyanna
    fannyanna Posts: 2,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've banked with FD for 8 years now and I'm still so impressed by the service that they provide.

In recent years I have had cause to make a couple of complaints but despite this I'm still a happy customer. I was extremely impressed at the way in which my complaints were handled. Afterwards I was then contacted by another company who had been appointed by First Direct to get some customer feedback. It says a lot when a company is actively trying to get feedback from a set of customers who are potentially going to be unhappy with them.

The thing that I like most about FD is the fact that I dial a number and within a few seconds a human being is talking to me. In the 8 years that I have been with FD I can probably count on one hand the number of times that I've heard their automated message which apologises for the fact that I'm having to wait for someone to answer the call due to call volumes. And on the odd occassion that it has happened I've not been waiting long.

With regards to the website - I am one of the people who think that the change was unecessary and not very good. I find it bizarre that the homepage is now mainly white when FD are famous for use of the colour black. But ultimately if a banks biggest source of negativity stems from the appearance of their website they're clearly doing something right.
  • tkwad
    tkwad Posts: 183 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i spent some time as an employee for first direct. I underwent their training, its all about the sales, the rapport is simply to build trust, then go in for the sales.
    its a bank, its a business, the calls are not timed as such but there are targets to be met.
    I didnt enjoy my time as an employee as i found them to be totally unsympathetic to my family needs ie care of sick child, ie if it happens again your out.
  • AirlieBird
    AirlieBird Posts: 1,046 Forumite
    Options
    Mandelbrot wrote: »
    General view seems to be "If it ain't broke ..." ;)
    Interesting to refer back to some comment by Mark Mullen in the interview I posted earlier - about how the bank should always stay focussed on it's core purpose - being a bank that gives good service & listens to its customers.
    We'll see ...
    Don't hold out much hope of them doing anything about the website. They got the same reaction in the lab as they are now getting when they trialled it last year. If they didn't listen then....
    Did you really mean to put loose?
    Lose: no longer possess, not to retain, unable to find
    Loose: not firmly or tightly fixed in place
  • Martinslovechild
    Options
    It's a shame that FD have chosen to invest a lot of cash recently into a re-haul of their commercial website but have chosen not to spend any cash on developing the Online Banking area.

There are some key vulnerabilities which I informed First Direct about a year ago which are still outstanding:-

Internet Banking Access
    1. Internet Banking loads in a separate, small pop-up window. This is very old-fashioned. Personally, I would prefer the 'Internet Banking' link to redirect me to the Internet Banking logon screen in the main webpage window.

Security
    2. In the 'Internet Banking Log On' page, if an incorrect username is entered, the warning 'Your username has not been recognised. Please try again' is displayed. From a security perspective, this is dangerous as it instantly visually alerts hackers to the existence of a valid account. Symantec would advise that the log on should continue regardless of an invalid entry to the next page (password and security question) - even in the case of an invalid logon ID having been entered - and only report that one or more details have been entered incorrectly after the user clicks [Proceed] - this way, hackers are completely in the dark as to which piece of security information is invalid. If an invalid logon ID has been initially entered on the initial page, a random question could be asked on the password page to fool them.

3. I would prefer dropdown controls instead of textboxes for the 3 password character fields. This is to prevent keyloggers from collecting any password-related data.

Menus
    4. It is not obvious that the menus collapse and expand to an inexperienced user. Normally, [+] and [-] symbols are shown next to collapsing/contracting menu options to indicate that this is the case. Certain menu options (e.g. 'View Statements') actually load a new webpage, whereas other options (e.g. 'My Details') simply expand the menu option. This difference in behaviour makes the site less easy to navigate.

5. When a collapsing menu is selected (e.g. 'Order Items') when one is already open (e.g. 'My Details'), the first one automatically contracts. Why?

Payments & Transfers
    6. Clicking 'Standing Orders' brings up a combined list of standing orders & direct debits. The 'type' field is the only visible differentiator. Why can't the standing orders be in a table at the top while the direct debits are shown in another table underneath - this would be much more visible.

7. Why do Standing Orders appear to be set up manually by First Direct staff? I've never been required to enter information such as 'monthly on 20th' in a frequency field before. Normally, I would expect prompts such as 'Daily/Weekly/Monthly/Annually' and 'Payment Start Date'.

8. When I set up a payment for a credit card, if I know all of the banking details for the card including the reference (card number), account number & sort code, the website simply rejects it if I attempt to enter it using the 'Pay Another Person' option. The site simply instructs me to select the card from the 'Pay A Company' list, complaining that the payment should be added using that option - this seems ridiculous!

9. If I select the credit card from the 'Pay A Company' option, the payment destination is listed in my payment destination list as the name of the card plus the card number, sort code & account number. I am not able to enter a destination alias, e.g. 'Paul Santander CC'. I have several similar payment destinations set up where both myself, my Wife & my Father have cards/accounts with the same companies, it makes life very difficult attempting to work out which one of the very similar payment destinations I should select from the list.

10. There appears to be no way to remove payment destinations set up previously. If no longer have an account with bank X then there is no way of being able to remove it from the list of destinations.

11. If I wish to make a payment to my First Direct Credit Card from my First Direct Current Account, there appears to be no easy way of making a transfer other than setting up the Credit Card as a new Payment Destination and scheduling a payment. I had wrongly assumed that the 'Make Payment' option on the 'My Accounts' page next to my credit card would allow this - but it appears to only allow payments to be made FROM the card to my 1st Account. However - there was no similar option in my 1st Account to make a payment TO the credit card - I had to set up the payment manually myself. After I had scheduled the payment, I expected it to disappear from my 1st Account instantly and appear in my Credit Card account moments later - it didn't - it only appeared the following day!
    Mortgage Feb 2001 - £129,000
    Mortgage July 2007 - £0
    Original Mortgage Termination Date - Nov 2018
    Mortgage Interest saved - £63790.60
    ISA Profit since Jan 1st 2015 - 98.2% (updated 1 Dec 2020)
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I've been a FD customer for over 15 years and couldn't be happier with the service. The staff are empowered to use their common sense which makes a massive difference, and really go the extra mile to keep you happy as a customer.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • dundeesherriff
    Options
    I'm not a First Direct customer, I don't have to be as I've been banking with their parent company, Midland and then HSBC ever since 1969 and have had nothing but first class service. I recently had to deal with Nat West, Barclays and Nationwide to sort out my fathers estate following his death, what a nightmare,contradictory advice and instructions and no one owning the problem.
  • seriousDFW
    Options
    I've been with fd for just under a year and have been very happy with the products and service. Their phone service is literally the best customer service telephone service of ANY company I have ever contacted. It is the only company that I don't dread ringing because of the stupid automated menus and having to input/give my details several times.

I don't mind if the rapport-building is only to boost sales. I expect that from a business, but they still offer a first class service and I have been very happy with the products too.
    DFBX2013: 021 :j seriousDFW £0 [STRIKE] £3,374[/STRIKE] 100% Paid off
    Proud to have dealt with my debts.
  • danjourno
    Options
    Firstly the negatives....

Their online banking website is quite annoying that way that its open in a little window.

I think they are wasting money on things like First Direct Labs. Its just a PR exercise. They don't seem to listen to anything posted on it.

For example, there are hundreds of requests for an Android App, but last time I asked, there were no plans to develop one.

Also, I posted a request that after making a payment, a summary screen should be displayed, so that I can print proof of payment. At the moment, i've got to print off my statement as proof of payment.

Having said all that, I do like their customer service. Its very quick and efficient, and I dont think i'd switch any time soon.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure