iPhone battery . New battery , or new iPhone ?

Options
Howdy !

I have an iPhone se .
I've had it for about 2 years . I recently went to a sim only contract .
Unfortunately and expectedly , the battery life is crap and tbh I could do with a replacement . Obviously I can now upgrade to a more expensive iPhone on contract . As apple's ideas have died after Steve jobs did , I no longer want to do that and just want to keep this iPhone I already have . So I'm wondering if a battery replacement by Apple is
the way to go? How much do they charge etc

Also, I got an iPad mini 4 in 2016 and although it's great , the battery life is also crap.
Please could someone advise ?
Thanks

Comments

• Frozen_up_north
    Options
    My iPhone SE is over 3 years old and has just dropped to 79% on the battery health. An Apple Store battery replacement is £49, a search of the web took less than a minute:
    https://support.apple.com/en-gb/iphone/repair/service/battery-power

Beware of taking out a SIM + phone package in order to buy an iPhone 7 in monthly instalments, the phone will be old stock or second hand as they are no longer available new from Apple.
  • Accountant_Kerry
    Options
    I just got my iPhone 7 battery replaced at a local shop for £30. I wouldn't buy a new phone on contract if I wanted a new phone I would buy it outright from elsewhere is the most cost efficient way
    Mar 24 - Mortgage Balance £249,794.45
    Credit Card - £8,182.23 + £4,731.65
    Goals: Mortgage Free by 2035, Give up full time work once Mortgage Free, Ensure I have a pension income of £20k per year from 2035

• oldernonethewiser
    Options
    Apple will replace the battery for £49, as already advised. Independent shops will be cheaper.

Much cheaper than buying a new phone and/or ipad.
    Things that are differerent: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid

• another_casualty
    Options
    Thanks for the swift and helpful replies .
    Yep, I'll hang onto what I have and will visit an Apple store to get new batteries sorted ..
  • Frozen_up_north
    Options
    Thanks for the swift and helpful replies .
    Yep, I'll hang onto what I have and will visit an Apple store to get new batteries sorted ..

Don’t forget to (a) fully backup your phone first and (b) make an appointment. From what I can gather, with an appointment they can replace the battery while you wait.

Let us know how you get on, I will be looking to get mine replaced soon and prefer to deal with an Apple Store, rather than save £19 and risk a written off phone if they break it.
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Don’t forget to (a) fully backup your phone first and (b) make an appointment. From what I can gather, with an appointment they can replace the battery while you wait.

Let us know how you get on, I will be looking to get mine replaced soon and prefer to deal with an Apple Store, rather than save £19 and risk a written off phone if they break it.

Will do . :)
    I notice that the replacement battery for the iPad 4 is £99
    What I'll do nearer the time is do a live chat with Apple and see what the best option is , whether to post or visit in store.
    I'm in poole and my nearest Apple store is in Southampton so train fares are another thing for me to consider ...
    In the meantime , I'm looking on the link you sent me and am looking at more battery saving tips etc ..
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,211 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options

I bought my iPhone SE in June 2016. Just checked an app I had downloaded called 'Battery Health' which showed a big red warning saying 'Wear Level Almost Dead. 100% Battery Wear Level. You need to change the battery immediately':eek:

Phone is working fine and battery life is causing no problems. I checked battery health in settings. It shows 'Max Capacity 89%. Your battery is currently supporting normal peak performance'

Needless to say, I've deleted the app.

May I ask why you're looking to replace yours when its showing 79% on the battery health?
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,750 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The 5s are now getting to the point where some apps no longer work - just something to bear in mind.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Frozen_up_north
    Options
    badger09 wrote: »
    May I ask why you're looking to replace yours when its showing 79% on the battery health?
    My SE dates from May 2016. The battery is just about OK but my thinking is to replace it and look for another 3 years use, by which time Apple may have seen sense and offer a similar size phone at a reasonable price. I’m not willing to buy a large slab for £1000...

In reply to the last post, it pays to ensure you download all the apps you might need as future upgrades to iOS might not include the older phones and later apps won’t work on older operating systems.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,750 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The ones I've already downloaded and been using for years won't update so no longer work - not sure there's a way round this?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure