MPs warn consumers to avoid Viagogo - MSE News

Options
A committee of MPs has today taken the "highly unusual" step of warning consumers not to buy or sell tickets through secondary ticket selling website Viagogo...
Read the full story:
'MPs warn consumers to avoid Viagogo'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• bearded
    Options
    Basic question:

Do Viagogo sell 'new' tickets or just secondhand ones?

I thought I was buying new tickets and that Viagogo were an agent for the venue. Two tickets were £303.40 all in, face value is £45 per ticket plus fees. I just paid it as it's a gift and looked like it was selling out fast.

Second question:

Do I just need to accept this as a 'stupid tax', suck it up and learn for the future or has anyone had success with a partial refund (on the basis of a misleading website and exorbitant fees)? I don't want to cancel the tickets outright as they've definitely sold out for real by now and I'd rather be out of pocket than miss the gig

Thanks,

Tim
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,935 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    They are a secondary seller, they are not an agent. Many of these sites do buy tickets from the venues purely to sell on at inflated prices rather than acting as an agent for individuals selling unwanted tickets so are actually one of the causes of high prices.
  • The_Redhead
    Options
    Due to go to theatre on 30 March, how long do I wait to see if I get my tickets, viagogo said they would be delivered the week of the performance. Am I best to wait until day before we go to theatre. Although if I do get them won’t know if they’re invalid until we get to the door. Or should I try to re-sell them now ? Never had this possible problem before with buying tickets. Now I’m really worried!
  • bearded
    Options
    We're due to be going to a gig this Sunday and I got an email today (Wednesday) saying the tickets have now been dispatched. Glad to hear that they're on their way as I was getting twitchy, especially with this article popping up in my email!

Tim
  • Karen195663
    Options
    Too late for me. I bought what I thought were specific seat numbers - I did not realise this was a secondary ticketing site. I have been charged 565 for tickets worth 228. How is this legal.

I have contacted Viagogo but they refuse to issue a refund - has anyone any ideas how we can get this site shut down as they are not cleaning up there processes as per court ruling
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure