If taking VR is it still possible to work for the company Freelance

Options
My company has amalgamated two departments resulting in 3 redunancies. The permanent jobs that are on offer are not on offer to me as I am the only person on a fixed term contract, the rest of them are on permanent contracts,

My query is if I take the redundancy package that they may offer me will I be able to work for a different department in a completely different capacity on a freelance/contracted basis in 3 months time?

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Depends totally on their policy.
  • luckbox
    luckbox Posts: 111 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If the company policy allows you to return, you will need to consider what HMRC will think about the tax free part of your redundancy package and may need to be prepared to prove to them if challenged, that it is not a tax free bonus in the guise of being made redundant.
  • DoctorStrange
    Options
    Most companies have a blackout period of at least 6 months (mine is two years!)

As far as the strict letter of the law reads, I've been told than a one week break is enough to server continuity so there's no employment law issue with the redundancy payment.

Tax law is trickier and HMRC may take a dim view if you return to the same/substantial similar role. You'd need to be able to price the redundancy was genuine, and that the new role was not a suitable alternative to redundancy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure