Hiring Decisions

Options
stclair
stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
Might sound a daft question but I have recently applied for a new job.

I completed the online application then a week later I was invited to do some online tests (verbal and numerical reasoning)

As a result I was invited to interview at the end of April.

I was wondering when making the hiring decision will they consider my initial application, test results and interview or will it be solely based on my interview proformance.

Sorry to ask Ive not made a job application in a long time so Im very rusty.
Im an ex employee RBS Group
However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own

Comments

• theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,305 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    That will depend on the employer. In my work everyone interviewed is judged to have made a good application, so the final decision is almost all based on the interview, but there is no reason all companies should do the same.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Depends entirely on the company.

I personally do think it is a mixture of the two, otherwise, why else would you get tests that they can then reject you before even getting called to interview. I got a knock back from a train company on this basis, believe I failed the tests although this wasn't confirmed as such and it was said feedback not available.

More and more of today's time, I hear it is visual "team fit" ahead of starting as well. My most recent interview where they say if recalled for second stage is being invited to meet the team and being on the floor for a bit. To be honest interviewers can say something different to everyone they meet, as they see fit, especially as all candidates can be different and situations differ, so I don't think it can be determined.
  • stclair
    Options
    Depends entirely on the company.

I personally do think it is a mixture of the two, otherwise, why else would you get tests that they can then reject you before even getting called to interview. I got a knock back from a train company on this basis, believe I failed the tests although this wasn't confirmed as such and it was said feedback not available.

More and more of today's time, I hear it is visual "team fit" ahead of starting as well. My most recent interview where they say if recalled for second stage is being invited to meet the team and being on the floor for a bit. To be honest interviewers can say something different to everyone they meet, as they see fit, especially as all candidates can be different and situations differ, so I don't think it can be determined.

Actually the job I have gone for is with a train operator. They seem to be dragging their feet with regards to making a hiring decision though. Having spoken to HR they said not many people was actually invited to interview for this particular position and no ones been notified yet.
  • aife
    aife Posts: 220 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Generally speaking the application form and tests are kind of like a filter to make sure you don't waste time interviewing people who don't meet the minimum specification
    Sorry to say the response from HR doesn't sound very encouraging, though a lot of managers are just very slow in making decisions
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    In my last post, only 5% of applicants reached interview and assessment day stage.
  • Ja7188
    Ja7188 Posts: 336 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 20 May 2018 at 5:13PM
    Options
    If it's a train company, it's presumably a large organisation and hence decisions may take a while - plus there's been a four-day week which may have meant that some of the relevant people have been on leave...

On this basis, I don't think you have any real reason to be discouraged.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    In my own recruiting days I would base my decision on who to interview on the application or CV, then decide who to hire based on the interview. However, part of the interview may be to ask follow up questions to information previously provided.
  • stclair
    Options
    aife wrote: »
    Generally speaking the application form and tests are kind of like a filter to make sure you don't waste time interviewing people who don't meet the minimum specification
    Sorry to say the response from HR doesn't sound very encouraging, though a lot of managers are just very slow in making decisions

Yeah it’s the rail industry though they take for ever to make hiring decisions.
  • stclair
    Options
    pmduk wrote: »
    In my last post, only 5% of applicants reached interview and assessment day stage.

Yeah I can imagine went to an assessment centre a few weeks ago for another company and there was only 24 there out of 700 odd applicants. I was honoured to get that far to be honest.
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Options
    aife wrote: »

True; however, they might have a copy of your application at the interview and ask you about things you may have put on the form - past jobs, skills and experiences etc. As long as the form was truthful, and you can talk about it, you'll be fine.

But if any of it was perhaps a little 'embellished', and your forgot what wrote (or made up some previous jobs or exam results), you could slip up. Obviously, you didn't do any of this, did you...?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure