Please can we invite an FCA representative for Q&A

Options
Reaper
Reaper Posts: 7,283 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
edited 5 August 2019 at 10:48AM in Site feedback
MSE used to invite people on to answer forum questions.

Any chance we could revive that? Over on Savings and Investments we have been discussing a number of loopholes in the regulations which are resulting in unscrupulous firms scamming money off naive investors. It would be great to put them to the FCA and see if anything can be done to put a stop to them.

Here's my own personal starter list but I'm sure forum members can add more:

* The advertising rules are being ignored by 3rd parties giving the impression high risk unregulated investments are savings accounts. The FCA has the power to remove these adverts but is doing nothing. Why? (click here for examples)
* Why is the FCA not listing the ultimate beneficiary companies that pay these deceptive affiliates on their warnings page?
* Why is the FCA not asking for more powers to take actions against the final company in the chain that pays the affiliates?
* Why are companies able to endlessly move their accounting date to avoid submitting accounts? (eg they can shorten the period by 1 day unlimited times for a 3 month extension each time) Why are you not lobbying MPs to have this loophole closed? (click here for an example)
* Do you think it is right that a company can advertise unregulated investments directly to the public even if not authorised to do so, provided they are regulated in an unrelated area (eg authorised to do Claims Management but advertising and selling mini-bonds)
* Do you agree the Section 21 loophole that allows completely unregulated companies to advertise directly to investors is too open to abuse?
* Should any promotion aimed at investors be banned from using the words "FCA Authorised" if the FCA authorisation is not investor related and FSCS cover does not apply?
* Any chance we could stop banks using the word "Bond" for savings accounts? Because it is so misused the word currently fails to rings alarm bells with users when inadvertently putting money into unregulated mini-bonds.
* Why are there no checks whatsoever when setting up a company that the person behind it is not totally fictitious? For example Mr Mmmmmmm YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY (click here)
The same goes for all the other details such as whether the named auditors really audited the accounts as claimed.
* Despite widespread fake info on the register why has only 1 person ever been convicted? And that person (Kevin Brewer) was not doing so for fraud but only to draw attention to how easy it was, writing to politicians to say what he had done (click here for more details).

Comments

• sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,897 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Will pass on to the forum team now.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'd also ask if Martin could do a post about these types of investments as it's clear that many savers are being tricked into investing in high risk bonds that they understandably think are savings from the adverts. Ones like this:

top-isa-rates.JPG
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,283 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    And another one JimJames has flagged before which I believe breaks a number of regulations:

basset-gold-savings-bond-review.JPG
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport