Is Good will gesture a claim?

Options
ryantcb
ryantcb Posts: 273 Forumite
edited 18 November 2019 at 10:32PM in Insurance & life assurance
Hi found out today that my home contents would not cover an item. I bought the item Wednesday and it fell and broke on the following Sunday. Value was £2000. As apparently I hadn’t declared the item as it’s over £1500 it was not covered. You can imagine how devastating this was after being with the insurer for a number of years and never having claimed before. I asked what the allowed time to notify them was seeing as I only just got the item 4 days previous. Three if you take into account they don’t work Sunday’s. They said should have been straight away but they don’t actually state this on their documents. I actually wanted to cry but instead resorted to begging them. They said they would make a good will gesture and pay me up to the value of £1500 but made it clear technically they didn’t have to pay anything as it wasn’t covered. My question is as this is a goodwill gesture and not actually a claim. Can I if asked in the future, “have you ever made a claim?”. can I in fact still say no as the claim was refused and they paid out on goodwill
Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    You would have to ask them, but I would imagine it would be marked as a claim, as you made a claim.

Accepting the goodwill gesture won't change that, so it's a good result.
  • Zorillo
    Zorillo Posts: 774 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's a claim.
  • davidwatts
    Options
    Yes it's a claim and the outcome is what you would normally expect to be covered rather than, usually, having to be a good will gesture. (Most policies would cover an item up to the limit when it hadn't been specified for the true value rather than not cover it at all.)
  • Chickenlips
    Options
    It is a claim.

Unless your policy states that undeclared items over £1,500 are automatically excluded, you should be entitled to cover up to £1,500 (provided the cause of damage is covered by the policy) as a matter of course.

They may have flagged it as a potential fraudulent claim, as buying something expensive and then claiming in a week is unusual. You should be able to progress with few issues if you have all the paperwork ect.

I would review your policy in detail before returning to them and make sure they honor the terms and conditions.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    It would have been a claim even if they had not paid out IMO.
    A claim is a claim whether successful or not.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure