Running the numbers - ISA vs mortgage overpayments

Posting in the investment forum because this is ultimately a investment return query, not a mortgage one.

I'm keen to pay down as much of our mortgage as possible over the next 5 years. My pay fluctuates depending on whether my job takes me overseas or not, when I'm in the UK I get less take home pay, so I need to pay down debts while I'm in better paid overseas employment.

Mortgage - 178k, 2.89%, BTL, minimum monthly payment 740, currently overpaying at 1300.

Question I'm mulling is whether to use the overpayment (560 per month) to invest or just keep overpaying.

Overpaying - at current rate I end up (thanks to a neat excel calculator I found) having 121,827 remaining after 5 years.

ISA - the same amount invested in an S&S ISA assuming 4.5% growth is approx 38,000. Which if then used to pay down the mortgage gets me down to 119,000 capital remaining, a saving of 2,827.

A decent enough saving worth aiming for, but what product to get me there? S&S with equity around 50% should do it? High interest savings accounts don`t fit as they are short-term and have low caps. Anything safer than S&S that will get around 4.5/5%?

I know 5 years is a relatively short term to invest and I could lose paper value on the money, but I don`t absolutely have to use the money after 5 years if the market is down, I'll just stay put and wait for better days. But I am aiming for the 5 years ideally is it means my monthly mortgage contributions on return to the UK will be lower.

Cheers

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,288 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    S&S with equity around 50% should do it?

You mean similar to what most endowment policies had? That went well ;)
    Anything safer than S&S that will get around 4.5/5%?

ISAs are not safe or risky. They carry no risk. it is what you place in the ISAs that matters. And anything you can place in an ISA you can hold outside of an ISA or in a pension and largely vice versa.
    I know 5 years is a relatively short term to invest

Especially wtih a crash statistically more likely to happen in that period than any other time in the last five years.

Plus, you would be investing for less than five years as its a monthly contribution. The bulk of the capital will be under 3 years.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Assuming that you have no other debt, and that you have a good cash emergency fund, the case for overpaying seems pretty reasonable to me. In essence you're going to be getting a tax-free interest rate of 2.89% with negligible risk. Depending on your tax position, doing it with an endless rolling-over of higher-paying regular savers might be even better, paying off the mortgage in lumps as the savers mature.

On the other hand you seem pretty relaxed about the potential for losing money, or at least losing book value, with the implication you could treat the £560 p.m. as a longer term investment. In that case, depending on your tax position and so on, it might be a better bet to contribute the money to a pension.

What is the current LTV on the mortgage?
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • thg
    thg Posts: 28 Forumite
    kidmugsy wrote: »
    Assuming that you have no other debt, and that you have a good cash emergency fund, the case for overpaying seems pretty reasonable to me. In essence you're going to be getting a tax-free interest rate of 2.89% with negligible risk. Depending on your tax position, doing it with an endless rolling-over of higher-paying regular savers might be even better, paying off the mortgage in lumps as the savers mature.

On the other hand you seem pretty relaxed about the potential for losing money, or at least losing book value, with the implication you could treat the £560 p.m. as a longer term investment. In that case, depending on your tax position and so on, it might be a better bet to contribute the money to a pension.

What is the current LTV on the mortgage?

Thanks - LTV under 60% and should be well under 50% by the time I remortgage, even if I don`t pay the lump in/overpay.

I have a DB pension and contributing to some extra features, so I feel I'm pretty covered on the pension side. My short term goal is to run the mortgage down hard so I can live more easily in the years I'm in the UK. I guess it all depends on how likely I think I will get a return of 5% over 5 years - stats would say pretty likely, but as Dunstonh says we may be due a nudge down - who knows - and how long I would be willing to hold in in S&S if it did.

Thanks both for the sense check!
  • MoneyGeoff
    MoneyGeoff Posts: 256 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Get a better mortgage. If you can get a mortgage close to 1% then it becomes a no brainer to invest instead of overpaying.
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    MoneyGeoff wrote: »
    Get a better mortgage. If you can get a mortgage close to 1% then it becomes a no brainer to invest instead of overpaying.

Not very helpful.

Where, exactly, do you suggest the OP finds this magical 1% mortgage interest rate that will last for five years, and be available on buy-to-let (as this appears to be the kind of mortgage the OP has)? A quick google suggests that you might be able to get 3.99% on a five year fix for buy-to-let. If it is a residential mortgage, then I can see a deal for 1.8%, but that is still some way off your suggested 1% rate.

Oh, and even should this mythical 1% rate appear, it still isn't a, "no brainer" because the investment timeframe is so short.
  • thg
    ValiantSon wrote: »
    Not very helpful.

Where, exactly, do you suggest the OP finds this magical 1% mortgage interest rate that will last for five years, and be available on buy-to-let (as this appears to be the kind of mortgage the OP has)? A quick google suggests that you might be able to get 3.99% on a five year fix for buy-to-let. If it is a residential mortgage, then I can see a deal for 1.8%, but that is still some way off your suggested 1% rate.

Oh, and even should this mythical 1% rate appear, it still isn't a, "no brainer" because the investment timeframe is so short.

Yep a BTL mortgage (my building society insisted after I'd been given consent to let on a residential mortgage for too long). At 2.89% I was happy on a five year fix in the anticipation that interest rates would nudge up a few times over that period. (And not least I was coming off a 5%+ mortgage so it seemed even better!) I will have to rent my property for long periods of my ownership; another reason I want to pay it off quickly so there is less hassle with banks.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Dunstonh's comments are worth taking notice of. Unfortunately, there aren't really any investments that will give you a reliable 4-5% over the five year period, as that's not really long enough for the markets to even out to get the good with the bad. When you are dripping money into an investment over a period of sixty months, some of it's invested for the full five years but most of it isn't and some of it is only invested a few months. So depending on timing and sizing of what you pay in, it might only be 2-3 years on average, that the total amount is invested for.

If you could just keep on waiting for the markets to recover, up to 10 years plus, that would be fine. You don't need to hit the exact 4-5% target on a specific day, just generally do better than the alternative opportunity (eg mortgage overpayment) over the long term.

Unfortunately it doesn't sound like you have the luxury of waiting 10-20 years for what sounds like the best path, to actually end up being the best path. If you want to move back into the property in five years, that's the point by which you want/need the investment to have been a success. If the investment /housing markets are well down, and if the reason for that is rapid interest rate rises, and you chose to invest instead of save, you could be hit with a triple whammy:
    - investments down, so you can't pay off as much mortgage as you'd hoped;
    - property value down, so mortgage is higher LTV than hoped (worse rate accordingly)
    - interest rates generally up so you are back up to 5% instead of 2.7%.

As such, simply overpaying the mortgage at a known interest rate is not a bad plan (assuming you've already exhausted any practical opportunities to get better rates on cash from promotional current accounts /savings accounts).
    kidmugsy wrote: »
    Looking at your own residential property it's true that an overpaid mortgage is effectively generating a 'tax free' return at whatever headline interest rate you save.

However, with BTL mortgage it's different. If you are paying a 2.9% interest rate on a chunk of mortgage that you have (because you chose not to pay it off early...), your business makes lower taxable profits, as you're allowed to deduct some of the borrowing costs. The amount you can deduct (if a higher rate taxpayer) is reducing each year as part of the phasing in of new regulations, but even by the 2020/21 tax year a higher rate taxpayer can still effectively get 20% basic rate tax relief on their mortgage interest cost, and a basic rate taxpayer isn't really affected by the new rules.

Basic rate tax relief achieved on the 2.9% interest paid (with the tax relief not achieved if you didn't have the mortgage) means that the effective 'profit' of overpaying the mortgage is only 2.1% a year on what's put in.

A 2.1% return on GBP cash might still be better after tax than your other cash or near-cash options, depending where you are in the world. But perhaps less exciting than the 'nearly 3% it first looked like.
  • thg
    bowlhead99 wrote: »
    Dunstonh's comments are worth taking notice of. Unfortunately, there aren't really any investments that will give you a reliable 4-5% over the five year period, as that's not really long enough for the markets to even out to get the good with the bad. When you are dripping money into an investment over a period of sixty months, some of it's invested for the full five years but most of it isn't and some of it is only invested a few months. So depending on timing and sizing of what you pay in, it might only be 2-3 years on average, that the total amount is invested for.

If you could just keep on waiting for the markets to recover, up to 10 years plus, that would be fine. You don't need to hit the exact 4-5% target on a specific day, just generally do better than the alternative opportunity (eg mortgage overpayment) over the long term.

Unfortunately it doesn't sound like you have the luxury of waiting 10-20 years for what sounds like the best path, to actually end up being the best path. If you want to move back into the property in five years, that's the point by which you want/need the investment to have been a success. If the investment /housing markets are well down, and if the reason for that is rapid interest rate rises, and you chose to invest instead of save, you could be hit with a triple whammy:
    - investments down, so you can't pay off as much mortgage as you'd hoped;
    - property value down, so mortgage is higher LTV than hoped (worse rate accordingly)
    - interest rates generally up so you are back up to 5% instead of 2.7%.

As such, simply overpaying the mortgage at a known interest rate is not a bad plan (assuming you've already exhausted any practical opportunities to get better rates on cash from promotional current accounts /savings accounts).

You're right - and I think this really helps clarify the point. That a 4.5% return is far from guaranteed; even if it is achieved the difference is only a few thousand pound; and when set against the risk of the markets being down, the over-payments feel a safer bet in my circumstances. Essentially, perhaps I'm trying to be too clever and shave off a little bit of money, but probably taking too much of gamble, when I could get most of what I want to achieve by overpaying.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    thg wrote: »
    . Essentially, perhaps I'm trying to be too clever and shave off a little bit of money, but probably taking too much of gamble, when I could get most of what I want to achieve by overpaying.

You have probably hit the nail on the head, in that a common mistake for people in the investment game is to feel you have been short-changed if you don't get the best return. Lots of people on here see other funds that they could have picked getting results better than the funds they actually picked, when markets are storming upwards, and are tempted into riskier options due to "fear of missing out".

As you mentioned in the opening post, this is ultimately an investment question rather than a mortgage one. When new investors post here about what their goals or objectives are, it is common to say they just want to "make my money work the best it can for me, I think I can do a lot better than cash", yet also "obviously with as low risk as possible, I've worked hard for the money and can't afford to lose it". And the problem is that these statements are pretty much irreconcilable, you typically have to take bigger risks to get bigger rewards but of course using big risks does not guarantee big rewards or they wouldn't call it risk!

So the sensible compromise for most investment planning is working out within your goals and objectives what you actually *need* as a bare minimum; and then what you would *want* if you could have it, and between those two extremes what would you *accept* to end up at and still be broadly happy because it was better than the worst acceptable position and didn't involve the high risk of shooting for the moon and missing.

It seems in your case you would achieve most of what you need by just plugging away with overpayments; to make small improvements you could use higher rate short term bank accounts (regular saver accounts etc) but only where convenient or available (might be less easy when traveling); and maybe you could do a small amount of investing on the side with a portion of the money you were going to overpay with- but investing the whole lot just seems like asking for trouble.

One further point on my earlier comment about whether the interest saved on BTL mortgage is really "tax free". Obviously you lose the 20% "tax shield" on your business profits that the mortgage interest would otherwise provide, but otherwise it feels tax free because it isn't really income, it's instead a saved expense. If you're overseas the practical position of how you make your money vs save your costs may be quite important -e g. the non-UK country in which you may acquire tax residency might or might not choose to tax your worldwide dividend income, interest income, capital gains etc, and it may or may not charge tax on your UK lettings business profits.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure