Advice needed - Self employed with broken leg

Options
Hi everyone I'll keep it short....
Went Ice skating, broke my leg and dislodged my ankle needing an operation.
Currently on my first year being a self employed window cleaner, also have a full time job warehouse job on a temporary contract started 4-5 weeks ago where I don't have entitlements of sick pay.
Previously payed NI on past job last year.
Currently play £200 in loan payments each month.

After a quick research I may be entitled to ESA.

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions?
Kind regards
Clint

Comments

• huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,823 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Use a benefits calculator such as Entitledto or Turn2us websites.

Depends on many issues.

Do you claim any other current benefits ?

Do you have a partner ? If so, do they work ?

Housing ?

Children ?

Yes it might be possible to claim New Style ESA if you have paid enough National Insurance in previous tax years. But is that the only option ? Provide more information and you might then receive more rounded advice.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • ClintD
    Options
    Thankyou for your reply.

I don't claim any benefits.
    Living at home with parents.
    I have a partner but we don't live together yet.
    No children.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 11 December 2019 at 8:40PM
    Options
    Your options are new style ESA if you meet the NI contribution conditions or Universal Credit (unless you are excluded from UC by savings over £16,000).

For an ESA claim made this month the contribution conditions are that you must have paid 50 weeks of NI contributions in each of the tax years 2016-2017 and 2017-2018.

I am not clear why you are not entitled to SSP from your full time job if you had already done some work. https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/work/rights-at-work/sick-pay/check-if-youre-entitled-to-sick-pay/
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • ClintD
    Options
    That's great thankyou, I'm eligible for the NI contributions for both years.
    Any idea if banks allow for a holiday period on loan repayments just until I'm back up on my feet literally ��
  • huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,823 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ask the Banks concerned. Might depend on how long you have been the Banks customer and how far you are into the loan.

If they allow any time without payment, it might only be a month or two.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure