DLA for a child, moving to PIP

Options
I have a query regarding moving over to PIP which is probably easy answered, but any help would be great.

My son receives DLA HRC and LRM, but will move over to PIP at the end of next year, as he will be 16 in Jan 2021. He attends a special school, and will do so until just after his 19th birthday.

Will this change from DLA to PIP affect the household benefits? I receive some tax credits to top up wages, and at the moment that has a disabled child element. I am not able to claim the child care element due to his age so at the moment I need the disabled child element to pay for childcare.

Will this change trigger us to move to UC?

Sorry to be so clueless.
£2 savers club #33
1 debt vs 100 days ~ £193.19£500

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,963 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I have a query regarding moving over to PIP which is probably easy answered, but any help would be great.

My son receives DLA HRC and LRM, but will move over to PIP at the end of next year, as he will be 16 in Jan 2021. He attends a special school, and will do so until just after his 19th birthday.

Will this change from DLA to PIP affect the household benefits? I receive some tax credits to top up wages, and at the moment that has a disabled child element. I am not able to claim the child care element due to his age so at the moment I need the disabled child element to pay for childcare.

Will this change trigger us to move to UC?

Sorry to be so clueless.
    That will depend what PIP he maybe awarded because it's not automatically transferred across.

If he's awarded Enhanced daily living then your tax credits will remain the same. If he's awarded standard daily living then you will receive less tax credits and it will be the severe disabled child element of up to £25 per week that you will lose.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    edited 8 December 2019 at 10:50PM
    Options
    If he is awarded PIP you will remain eligible for a disabled child component. This is not a trigger which ends your Tax Credit claim and does not therefore require a change to UC.

As poppy says there are two Disability rates and which one applies depends on the PIP award.

More information here https://revenuebenefits.org.uk/tax-credits/guidance/how-do-tax-credits-work/understanding-disability/#Children%20and%20disability
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Glitterbaby
    Options
    Thank you very much both of you.

Another question, I apologise. In terms of Child Benefit, if he is attending a special school under an EHCP, will this still qualify as continuing further education, even though he isnt technically in further education and is unlikely to be studying any qualifications, even functional skills.

I know my questions are a bit previous, but I want to get the info now so that I have a year to prepare for any financial changes.
    £2 savers club #33
    1 debt vs 100 days ~ £193.19£500
  • calcotti
    Options
    https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/child-over-16

It has to be non advanced education so I would have thought a special school counted. You could ask the school - they may be able to confirm this.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • bigbill
    bigbill Posts: 928 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I am not able to claim the child care element due to his age so at the moment I need the disabled child element to pay for childcare.

Why not? I thought this child care part was payable until 16 if disabled?
  • calcotti
    Options
    bigbill wrote: »
    Why not? I thought this child care part was payable until 16 if disabled?
    Agreed. According to this https://www.litrg.org.uk/tax-guides/childcare/tax-credits-childcare-support/who-can-claim-childcare it is payable until the 1st September following the 16th birthday for a disabled child.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure