Dollar bills

Options
Going to a carribean AI in October. Be lovely to have £100 worth of dollar bills for bar/pool tips for drinks served.
Where can I get that many dollar bills?
Or even 50.

Comments

• EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    Kim_kim wrote: »
    Going to a carribean AI in October. Be lovely to have £100 worth of dollar bills for bar/pool tips for drinks served.
    Where can I get that many dollar bills?
    Or even 50.

A cashpoint/ATM.
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    A cashpoint/ATM.

Not one dollar bills.
  • EveryWhere
    Options
    Not one dollar bills.

Take out cash in their currency and change it up.
  • Kim_kim
    Options
    Take out cash in their currency and change it up.

I was wondering if anyone knew anywhere in the uk I could order them.
    I asked in the post office today, but he says he doesn’t order in, he gets what denominations he’s given.
  • Duckyduck
    Duckyduck Posts: 269 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Tesco & M&S have always had $1 when I’ve asked. 120 odd pieces of paper is a lot though, maybe just get some and some lowish denominations to break while out there.
    Save £12k in 2019 #36
  • EveryWhere
    Options
    I was wondering if anyone knew anywhere in the uk I could order them.
    I asked in the post office today, but he says he doesn’t order in, he gets what denominations he’s given.

Why would you waste time and money buying currency, when you can take local currency out for free?

As to the idea of getting other denominations and breaking them up there. That would only work where US$ is the currency. But if the currency is say XC$, you'll get your change in XC$.

So a total waste of time. Just get the local currency when you are out there and tip with that.
  • Kim_kim
    Options
    Why would you waste time and money buying currency, when you can take local currency out for free?

As to the idea of getting other denominations and breaking them up there. That would only work where US$ is the currency. But if the currency is say XC$, you'll get your change in XC$.

So a total waste of time. Just get the local currency when you are out there and tip with that.

They use dollars there.
    Pretty sure I’d be charged to use my card in a dispenser out there.
  • EveryWhere
    Options
    They use dollars there.
    Pretty sure I’d be charged to use my card in a dispenser out there.

It honestly gets a bit tiresome writing the same thing.
    If they use US$, take them out of the ATM there.
    If you buy US$ here, you are going to pay for the privilege. You aren't getting them for free.
    Then when you go to change them you will get local currency anyway.
    If you withdraw £100 equivalent over there, even with a poor example of plastic, how much do think you will pay for the equivalent of £100?

We are talking about a difference of perhaps a couple of £s. So no need to drag the thread out over something so minor.

Get yourself some decent plastic going forward. Using the Halifax Clarity to withdraw over there, it would cost you potentially nothing to withdraw locally.
    Same with https://www.starlingbank.com/travel/
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 3,370 Forumite
    edited 12 July 2019 at 8:13AM
    Options
    US Dollars are good just about everywhere in the Caribbean, the locals will gladly accept them in tips.

Be aware that the policy on some cruise lines is that all cash tips are pooled into a general pot.

ATMs that dispense US $ are very likely to incur a commission or surcharge.

Avoid going into a bank on the islands to get US Dollars with Sterling - they convert into local currency first, then convert that to greenbacks, a double whammy FX transaction.

I made that mistake somewhere or other - and the bank also wanted two official forms of ID, a passport was not enough. Fortunately I had backup ID.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    Options
    Surely the sort of people who regularly receive so many one dollar bills as tips would be happy to change some up for your larger bills, if you ask any of them..?
    Evolution, not revolution
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport