Deposit/pay-in to someone else’s Lloyds account

Options
Hello everyone.
Is it possible to pay-in money to someone else’s account at Lloyds Bank?
I do not have an account in the UK but I need to transfer some money to a Lloyds’ client.
I did TransferWise in the past but it so happens that I will have a 13h lay-over in London next week so instead of paying the transfer fee I would like to deposit cash at a branch.

Is it possible?

How do I do it?

Thanks in advance for all your answers!

Comments

• eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Unfortunately it is no longer possible, in general, to deposit cash into the bank account of another person in UK. If it's a company account, that's different.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • StokieBecks
    StokieBecks Posts: 4,997 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Some Lloyds branches still have immediate deposit machines which unless they have updated them you can use by entering the sort number/account number on the screen (it gives you the optoon to use the card for the account or the account details) . This then gives you the option to deposit cash or cheques.
    £2 Savers Club for 2022 #12
  • Emily_Joy
    Emily_Joy Posts: 1,244 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Lloyds bank used to provide paying-in books some 10 years ago. It might be the case the account holder still have one and might be able to send you a slip. Then you can pay in any post office.

TSB bank still uses paying-in books, so it's not true that you can't pay money into someone else's account in UK.
  • Wowos
    Wowos Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who answered my question.
    To add to the confusion I just called Lloyds Bank and I was told that "it should not be a problem if you have an account number and a sort code of that person". But the lady I spoke to did not have confidence in her voice. She sounded as if she was guessing.

I guess I will have to find out next week at a branch.
  • Wowos
    edited 10 August 2018 at 1:43PM
    Options
    Unfortunately that Lloyds Bank client can not send me the paying in slip because it would not arrive here by the time I leave.
  • realgonekid_2
    Options
    It depends on the branch and the teller. As others have said use the self service instant deposit machine. I paid it at a Lloyds branch for someone week with no issue
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    How much do you want to pay in?
    A few hundred should not be a problem but if it is over a thousand quid questions will be asked which might get the receiving account blocked pending ''investigations''?
  • Wowos
    Options
    I have been thinking about this. I need to transfer 2500 but I can actually pay in twice since I will have a lay-over on my return a few days later as well. If you think more than a 1000 is too much then I can make two deposits of 1000 and the rest can go via TransferWise.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    If you have a legitimate reason for paying in cash then why split the transactions?
    If asked just tell the truth - then no drama.
  • Wowos
    Options
    I do have a good reason which is paying the money back. I thought this was your suggestion not to pay above a thousand. I do not have a problem doing it at once but since you suggested it may cause trouble, why cause trouble?
    I transfer via TransferWise no problems but it looks like the banks in the UK do not like to receive money from strangers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure